Author Topic: 2018 era fantasy build - .50 Cal from a Chambers Haines kit...  (Read 22966 times)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
Re: Isaac Haines .50 Build
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Now for the trigger.

I wanted to go with a set trigger instead of the single trigger in the kit, so I purchased a set trigger from Chambers, and did a little measuring. The set trigger is deeper and has a thick "base" to it, so the trigger will have to be lowered so I do not have to adjust the sear bar on the lock. The rule of thumb I am using is the set trigger screw aligned under the "Sear" Bar on the lock. The pre-carve was not set up for this type of trigger assembly, so I marked up the stock, and started the fitting.

Now to see where in the stock this trigger will fit - front line is the "aft end" of the trigger guard, center line is where the sear bar is (on the lock) The aft line is the furthest back was my measure for where I will need to take out wood for the set trigger to operate. the less wood taken the better!!! -

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:08:29 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Using the trigger plate as a guide, I fitted the width then the length keeping the trigger adjustment screw alignment with the sear bar as the "non movable" point of reference.

Once that was set in - I  added back all the trigger assembly and assembled the lock and adjusted the triggers to properly operate on half and full cock.

When that was complete, I disassembled both the lock and the trigger, and drilled in the trigger screw that holds the trigger bar on the rear of the stock, as the front of the trigger bar acts like a "Nut and washer" for the Tang bolt. I marked and measured the location for the Tang bolt to ensure there was no interference and it was the correct angle for the bolt to be 90 degrees on the tang. After that was measured and set - I tapped the front Tang bolt hole with an 8/32 tap.

Once I had those locations, I drilled the Tang and counter-sunk it with an 82 degree Counter bit, and drilled the tang through to the front of the trigger plate.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:13:34 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
One notable, that trigger has a set spring and a lot more depth than a single trigger - so I slowly opened the trigger plate cavity to create enough space (just enough) for the set spring and set spring screw.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
I like your choice for the double trigger, it gives a lot more work, but when you have finished the rifle, it gives a lot more pleasure!
Keep on the good work!

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
You know it's been a while when you find your build post on page 4 :) - Just an update on the progress of the Haines:

Cleaning up and shaping the but plate

Prepping the but of the stock to fit the plate and the stock - filing and rasping...

Trigger Guard shaped and pinned

First shaping of the wooden Patch box....

Continued fitting of the Patch Box and filing the grove in the but plate for the patch box:

Some more random shots, the last being the ROUGH cut of the Patch Box - ready for some carving and final shaping - need to take some of the "Thickness" out of it - but the shape is coming along just fine...

n stephenson

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
Jon, Whether you meant to or not. It looks like you have put together a pretty nice tutorial on kit building.  Like Dave and Taylor over the years I have "opened " my inlets slightly , not gappy , just a little room for finish. I too have had "mini disasters" while scraping dry finish out of an inlet. Jon , your quality of work combined with your ability to document your progress , and teach as you go , makes you a valuable asset to the forum. Nice work!! Jon, I will be the last to try to highjack your gunbuilding plans but, like Mike I am wanting to see what you turn out from a board. You got some skills man!!!   Keep us posted , this one will be nice.  Nate

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
The shape (curvature) of that lid needs a lot of work. Look at some originals. Do you have the KRA disks? Good source, you can actually grasp some depth with the KRA disks, exceptional photographic quality.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ltdann

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
Mr. Brooks,  which of the KRA CDs would you recommend?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
Mr. Brooks,  which of the KRA CDs would you recommend?
All of them. I have only just discovered them in the past 6 months myself. They're only about $20 each more or less and really give you some insight as to what these guns looked like even with out having them in hand.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »
Hi Jon,
Thanks for keeping up the post on this gun.  I was asked last month to build a Chambers Haines kit with a brass patchbox.  I consented to do it but I actually have never done a Chambers kit.  In fact, I only did one kit gun years ago, so I will be interested to see how it goes.  It is nice to see photos of the kit that I will be dealing with and get an idea how much work it will take. I am planning to slip it in between other projects, figuring that most of the time consuming grunt work is done.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
Jon, I have a question about your barrel. Is it the 42 in. southern classic? That is the only 50 cal A weight that I am aware of made by Rice.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
Nate - Thanks - I'm still learning  but if I can show progress, and other benefit, that it's all a "Win Win"

Mike - I don't have those disks - but will get them - it is in it's roughest form, and much more work to do -  I'll keep looking at originals - and please - if you have any reference pictures, feel free to add them to the thread - it's all good stuff. I don't want to have to go outside and pick weeds, or get bopped on the head, keep me in the shop...

Dave - This is my second Chambers - you will fly through it - you are very talented and will fit and finish one of these quickly. My first was a metal patchbox Lancaster.  That was a FUN build - I did a thread a while ago on it.

Flinch - I will see if it is a Southern Classic - When I ordered the kit, Barbie said "I have an "A" weight .50 - want a challenge?  - and me, I love challenges - it took a little to fit the smaller barrel in the pre-carve, but fun to do.

All Feedback most welcome!!!!!! and if you need more detail or coverage, I am taking 100's of pictures, and I will gladly send them on a disk for free to anyone that wants them.

Chat soon, Jon
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:48:41 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
Mike!!!!!!- - - This is next..... Watch out what you wish for....   :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
Mike - I don't have those disks - but will get them - it is in it's roughest form, and much more work to do -  I'll keep looking at originals - and please - if you have any reference pictures, feel free to add them to the thread - it's all good stuff. I don't want to have to go outside and pick weeds, or get bopped on the head, keep me in the shop...
For a quick reference go to Kibler's website and look at his custom stuff. I suspected you might not be done with that lid. Those KRA disks will be good for you.....will probably kill all the contemporary influence you've been drawn too. ;)

n stephenson

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »
Mike!!!!!!- - - This is next..... Watch out what you wish for....   :)

OK , I`ll bite!  What is hiding in the Walnut blank?  If you don`t wish to tell .I understand!  Nate

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
Looks very early Marshal-type, or a Jaeger to me on the butt drawing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle, 31" tapered and flared octagon barrel, .50 cal - Based on an original created by the famous London gun maker William Turvey around 1740-1750.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »
For a quick reference go to Kibler's website and look at his custom stuff. I suspected you might not be done with that lid. Those KRA disks will be good for you.....will probably kill all the contemporary influence you've been drawn too. ;)

Contemporary, Historic and Fantasy, combined - -  doesn't that make a "Next Generation" gunsmith?  :) - Merry Christmas my friend - Your input is more valuable than you think. BTW, if I could do as well as one tenth of Jim Kibler, I would be thrilled.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
Hi Jon,
If you are going to make an 18th century English sporting rifle you really should make it in a man's caliber like 62 or bigger.  Maybe you could kind of get away with 58 cal but then some of us might still think that a little effete.  You know those Anglicans, if it doesn't cause pain it must be a sin. ;D

dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 12:06:51 AM »

Contemporary, Historic and Fantasy, combined - -  doesn't that make a "Next Generation" gunsmith?  :) - Merry Christmas my friend - Your input is more valuable than you think. BTW, if I could do as well as one tenth of Jim Kibler, I would be thrilled.
Contemporary, Historic and Fantasy, combined - -  doesn't that make a "Next Generation" gunsmith?
I suppose it makes a common gunmaker of today. Your work would take more notice if it were "historically typical" ...now that would be uncommon today. The point I'm trying to make is it's the cake that is the foundation of the baker, not the frosting. Excel at architecture and you will stand out among the pack!.
 I'm already nervous about your English rifle since you included the word "gentleman" in it's description. Study English rifles of the period, they were quite conservative.
 If you want to stretch your decorative legs go with one of those French bordello rifles..... ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:49:56 AM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 12:51:56 AM »
Then you may have to close your eyes - I'm making my Issac Haines with a fleur-de-lis Theme - - This could get interesting....

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2017, 12:54:27 AM »
Hi Jon,
If you are going to make an 18th century English sporting rifle you really should make it in a man's caliber like 62 or bigger.  Maybe you could kind of get away with 58 cal but then some of us might still think that a little effete.  You know those Anglicans, if it doesn't cause pain it must be a sin. ;D

dave

With the short cut of the blank...was looking to do this: English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle. Based on an original created by the famous London gunmaker William Turvey around 1740-1750. This piece is an early example of English full stock sporting rifles. English gunmakers sometimes incorporated Germanic features as exhibited by the plain sliding wooden patchbox and square toe. However, the hardware (including the wrist escutcheon, the decorative flowing side plate, and the first pattern acorn finial guard) exhibits the typical relief-chiseled details that occurred on fine English pieces. English sporting rifles in the 1700's were made for well-to-do English gentlemen but could have found their way to the colonies.

From a practical viewpoint today, this rifle makes a terrific, quick handling hunting rifle that is ideal for thick cover. Its short length and light weight make it easy to carry on those long all-day, or all week, hunts.

Parts and barrel from Chambers - his Gun # RK-12 - with my blank.....

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:57:14 AM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 02:35:16 AM »
Then you may have to close your eyes - I'm making my Issac Haines with a fleur-de-lis Theme - - This could get interesting....
OHHH NOOOO! :o

BTW, Bob Harn made that gun you have pictured.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2017, 05:25:22 AM »
Hi Jon,
Look at the Turvey rifle in Shumway's RCA 1.  In my opinion, Chambers English rifle kit is not closely based on that rifle and looks different. In addition, I think the Turvey rifle in Shumway's book is often the only English rifle of that period that many builders in the US are familiar with.  Griffin, Hirst, Twigg, Barbar, Clark, Manton brothers, etc all built rifles in the 18th century and the styles differ.  You can find photos of some rifles in Neal and Back's books on British gunmakers.  Also Bailey has nice examples of rifles by Benjamin Griffin and John Hirst in his book "British Military Flintlock Rifles".  In particular look at the officer's rifle by John Hirst. It has classic English sporting gun lines and is more elegant than the Chambers rifle kit.  I chose that rifle and another by Griffin as inspiration for my English rifle more so than the Turvey gun.  Also Mike Brooks may still have some photos of his English rifles on his web site, which I believe better represent English styling than the rifle in your photos.

dave   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »
It's too bad most all of the British gun reference material is so hard to come by and expensive when you find it. You might contact James Rogers as he might have some good English rifle reference material. He's my go to guru guy for a lot of that stuff. He knows minutia about British guns I never even thought about! ;D