Author Topic: Pewter Collar Hunting Knife  (Read 2775 times)

Offline tippit

Pewter Collar Hunting Knife
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
OK this IS my LAST knife post...breaking down Tippit Forge North as we will be headed to our Aiken, SC farm the end of the month to enjoy warm winter weather and hog hunting.  Plus open up Tippit Forge South...

My son who is a blacksmith in Crested Butte, CO made my sign...

Small knife with the type of blade I prefer in a hunting knife...slight drop point and more triangular cutting edge toward the point as opposed to rounded point.  This allows me to run the point under the skin, push the blade forward, and easily cut strips of hide that can be pulled down.  By doing this, I can skin a hog in less than 10 minutes as I never gut a hog.  With the hog hanging, the meat stays clean and I'll get the hams, shoulder, loins, and even the inner loin without ever gutting the hog.  Until now I've only hunted deer, bear, and hogs with my longbow.  But now that I'm into black powder, flintlocks, and my .54 Selb Hawken/Hog gun, I needed an appropriate looking hunting knife.   

Knife is 7 1/2 inches OAL, forged 1084 steel, bear bone handle, pewter collar, and tea stained...tippit

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:20:56 PM by tippit »

Offline Arcturus

Re: Pewter Collar Hunting Knife
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »
Looks nice.  Very handy and usable size.
Jerry

Offline tippit

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »
It's definitely a right hand knife with the bow of the bone fitting into the palm of my hand.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
Very nice thanks for posting. Enjoyed the other pics too, by the way. 

Nick Bachtel

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Tippit,

It is pleasant to see another fly fishing bladesmith. I forge and fish in Northeast Ohio. Swinging flies for steelhead and forging Bowies or patch knives are two things that are on my mind more often or not. Most of my recent work hasn't pertained to long rifles or similar, so I haven't been posting much on here.

I am sure you and I could pick each other's brains for hours.

Nick Bachtel