Author Topic: David Cooley - Adams County  (Read 4024 times)

Hobie Dog

David Cooley - Adams County
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
I am having trouble finding info on David Cooley who worked in Adams County in early 1800's. Can anyone either provide something or point me to where I might look. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: David Cooley - Adams County
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
After the British burned Washington DC in 1814, Cooley and fellow gunsmith Andrew Kopp joined the Militia in Gettysburg and marched to the defense of Baltimore. They were outside the battle of North Point.

Offline rlm

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »
David Cooley worked in what is now Tyrone twp Adams Co. Pennsylvania. His most prolific years were roughly 1820 - 1835. After that period of time he is regularly taxed as a farmer. There is no known documentation as to who taught him the gunsmith trade but his work shows elements or Armstrong and Sweitzer. He was definitely  a quality gunsmith. As I recall Kindig displayed at least three of his  rifles. They're often beautifully carved with patch boxes and other inlays most tasteful and skillfully engraved.

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:28:28 AM »
Kindig has a write up in his book "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age on Cooley. Also, William Bowers book entitled"Gunsmiths of Pen-Mar-VA" has a section on Cooley also.

VP

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:11 AM »
Whisker's Gunsmiths of Adams, Frankllin and Cumberland Counties, Pennsylvania has a brief Bio on Cooley and several pictured.
Kunk

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:42:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing those photos.  that's a wonderful rifle
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

JohnnyB

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
I am new to the forum, and I am also seeking information on David Cooley. I have so far consulted Kindig, Bowers, and Whisker, and any further suggested resources would be immensely appreciated. Mark Tyler - would you share where you found that Cooley and Kopp joined the militia after Washington was burned, etc? Fascinating.
Many thanks.

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
I am fascinated by the engraving on box lid. Very nice in my opinion. Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
Wonderful rifle. Was it in the dated rifle display?  Do we know who C A was?  Thanks for the pictures.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.