Author Topic: Help in Musket identification  (Read 2210 times)

georgemangum

Help in Musket identification
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:21:30 AM »
This musket just passed to me and I know nothing about it. It has been in Guilford County, NC for at least the past 110 years but I am not sure it was made in the vicinity. It is 52" long and weighs 4 lbs. It has a small scallop shell brass patch box and the stock is deeply carved. What engravings and stamps it may have have are illegible except for a "2" on the barrel and the initial "LT" on the backside of the patch box cover. The barrel shape changes from octagonal to round after 10 1/4". The end of the barrel opening is 11/16". I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help in Musket identification
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »
Appears German to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
I'd bet money it's Belgian.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Howard

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
These were imported from over the pond by the hundreds.  I have a friend that lives down the road that likes these as he probably owns 5 or 6.  I imagine they were sold out of the old hardware stores back in the 1880's

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 04:30:10 AM »
Agree with Mike it's Belgian.  German carving was normally better executed.  Just your basic little hardware store shotgun, dolled up a bit with a cap box and carved. Great little wall hanger and conversation piece.
Done right is better than done fast.