Author Topic: Vicki's York  (Read 3639 times)

Stickburner

Vicki's York
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:42:11 AM »
This is the third kit I have assembled and my first attempt at carving.  Vicki and I visited Chambers' Flintlocks several years ago and I left her and Barbie to decide which of their kits would best fit her.  I mangled the original stock so bad that I had to order a replacement so I took signed up for Jim Parker's class to learn the correct way assemble a kit and learned so much that I signed up for his carving class. 

Thanks to Barbie for sending me a much better stock than I paid for, to Jim for his patience and instructions, and to Mike Brooks for his tutorial, my wife has the best rifle I was capable of building at that point. 

Here she is participating in the Whitewater Longhunters Fall Rendesvous Woods Walk this past weekend.

temporary picture sharing
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:49:50 AM by R Allen »

Stickburner

Re: Vicki's York
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:56:27 AM »
Here is the cheek piece carving.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:12:03 AM »
That is mighty fine! You should wreck a stock more often if that is the result!

It would seem that Jim Parker taught you well.  I would guess from your post that it is your first rifle, and it looks way better than my second (or third...).  That is a beautiful piece of wood too, and you managed to bring out the curl very well. 

I'm guessing from your workshop setup that this is not the first bit of woodworking you have done....   Where did you get those support stands that are attached to the front face of your workbench?  I like them very much!

I could critique some of the design elements of your carving, but that is not the point of my response, and I am not an expert. 

Very well done!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:40 AM »
beautiful, i love the design and color,your  wife has to be very proud
keep up the good work

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:20:13 AM »
I like it!  Good job all the way around.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:35:07 AM »
Just re-read your post and realized that it is your third kit-build, not your first as I thought in my last post. 

That fact doesn't change anything, it's a beautiful rifle and you should be proud!  I really like the carving behind the barrel tang.

You have more skill than me!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
Nicely Done!!   Good Job!      Nate

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
That's a gorgeous rifle.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

ltdann

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
That's nice and clean!  The woods fantastic, nothing wrong with that rifle at all!

Offline KC

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
Richard,
Your rifle turned out great. Vicki must be pleased and you should be proud.

I enjoyed taking Jim Parker's rifle building class with you. I can only hope that when I finally finish mine up that it turns out half as nice as yours did. I can see that I should sign up for Jim's next carving class, you did an awesome job.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:45:39 AM »
Richard and Vicki came by the shop to show me this rifle on their way down to the Whitewater shoot and all I can say is it looks fabulous. Vicki had the biggest grin on her face as her and Richard were showing me her new rifle. ;D I was a very proud teacher. Richard you are well on your way to being a very fine rifle builder.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
I agree with all those responding, very nice rifle. If that is a Jim Chambers York kit I have one just like it tucked away to be made up for my Grand daughter, I hope mine turns out as well.

Stickburner

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:01 AM »
Chowmi asked about the supports on each side of the vise.  They were made from scraps and old wrenches.  They can be raised or lowered and rotated in order to support each end of the gun.  The pads are twelve inch long two by fours covered with old blanket material.  I am going to cover the blanket material with some vinyl upholstery material in order to be able to keep the padded surfaces clean.

free unlimited image hosting

Hope the photos help.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 04:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the photos of the bench supports!  That's a neat design, I like it.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA