Author Topic: replacement lock  (Read 2095 times)

Offline yip

replacement lock
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
  a friend has a Dixie Pedersoli Pennsylvanian long rifle and looking for a replacement lock, is there a better lock out there that will be close to fitting ?

n stephenson

Re: replacement lock
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
Yip, I have used the L&R replacement locks before , with pretty good results. I don`t know if they have one that is a "drop in" but if it is the right style and only slightly larger , you can remove a small amount of wood and inlet it in, as long as the proper relationships line up .  Nate

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
None of the replacement locks are a “drop in”. They all require some fitting. Get a TOTW catalog that has the full sized pictures of the locks they offer. Make a tracing of the lock from your gun, and match it to the lock that requires the least fitting.

Hungry Horse

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
None of the replacement locks are a “drop in”. They all require some fitting. Get a TOTW catalog that has the full sized pictures of the locks they offer. Make a tracing of the lock from your gun, and match it to the lock that requires the least fitting.

Hungry Horse
I put one on a Hatfield rifle for a guy and, it did pretty much "drop in" .

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Along with lockplate profile one needs  consider the thickness of the lock.

I used to have a Pedersoli .45 cal Frontier, Deluxe version. A standard Siler lock would have been a drop-in, pretty much, with respect to plate outline. But the Pedersoli lock is so much thinner that one would have to grind off some from the Siler pan cover & I suppose mainspring to get it to fit.

Likewise I bought a supposed drop-in for the Pedersoli NW gun. American lock mainspring was huge in comparison with the Italian one, would have required a lot of work to make the thing fit. Plate outline of the American lock was OK, just not the thickness.

wet willy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:46:03 AM »
FWIW, I would remove wood in the lock inlet area rather than grinding metal off springs, etc'

I have several L&R replacement locks, all required some wood removal from the lock inlet, all were vast improvements over the Italian originals: shorter hammer throw, crisper trigger action for example on the percussion locks.