Author Topic: Best museum for its collection of flintlock arms?  (Read 341 times)

Offline John Ciccone

• Starting Member
Best museum for its collection of flintlock arms?
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
Can you make a recommendation for a museum that has the best collection of "Kentucky" rifles in the Maryland, Virginia, or Pennsylvania area?

Offline Chowmi

Re: Best museum for its collection of flintlock arms?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 03:57:22 AM »
Try the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.  It's has a pretty awesome collection.  Long rifles, fowlers, and militia guns. 
There may be better ones, but this one is good. 
Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
Maybe the American Museum of American History, or the NRA Museum. It's been decades since I've been to them.

And just a LITTLE bit further east, there's the Tower of London.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

And just a LITTLE bit further east, there's the Tower of London.

Went to the tower several years ago expecting to see the great collection of firearms. There was nothing there but a collection of Brown Besses. The collection of civilian arms I was told, had been moved to Leeds. Bummer, I didn't have time to go to Leeds.

Online Carl Young

• Miss. State Univ.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
I was at the Tower about a month ago and there were few guns at all. A few wheellocks, one Snyder percussion rifle, but no flintlocks and certainly no American longrifles [despite the rumor that there is a captured longrifle from America on display]. I asked both the curator at the Tower, and the curator of the Regimental Museum across the yard, neither had any idea where I could view flintlocks.

They did have a gold plated Colt Python !?!  :o

The most interesting place I found in London for viewing 17-18th firearms was "The Wallace Collection". I thought there was more of interest there than all of the other London venues I visited combined.

Good luck with your hunt!
Carl

free picture hosting site