Author Topic: Smith Little Torch ?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Scota4570

Smith Little Torch ?
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »
Mark mentioned he uses one.  It has me interested.  For high temp silver solder and brazing small parts it seem to have merit.

I use to have one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK5500-Brazing-Torch-Kit-361487/300055608

The oxygen bottle was expensive and only lasted a couple of minuets.  I threw it away. 

How is the oxygen bottle life on the Smith?

Online Bill Raby

Re: Smith Little Torch ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Use an oxygen bottle from the welding shop. I could get a good six months of use from one using a Little Torch all day long every day.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
Might as well get a full welding outfit in that case...

westbj2

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »
I have the oxy/acetelene version of the Little Smith Torch.  Uses the same bottles as a larger regular O/A set. For small jobs it is the perfect tool.
You need to be careful with the smaller tips because the tiny flame is hard to see in normal shop lighting conditions.  I couldn't count all the frozen and stuck nipples it allowed me to remove.
Jim

Offline horologist

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
I have heard good things about the Smith little torches and have been considering the purchase as well.
You do need to be careful as there are a lot of Chinese counterfeits out there.

Troy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:04:48 PM by horologist »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
For me I started off with a large set of rented bottles and a Victor 100 torch handle with tips from 000 to 4/0. When I got to a point that taking the bottles back for new ones when they ran out was getting too heavy for me to lug around I switched to the "B" (40 cu-ft) size tanks which I own. That size now last me about 1-1/2 years before I switch them out for full ones. These are about twice the size of the "MC" tanks which will run out of gas when you need them the most.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:21:38 AM »
I have 2 of the small torches, one is the Little Smith brand, the other the Gentec brand.  The Gentec I have uses the throwaway bottles, but I also have the gauges for the bigger tanks.  The Little Smith stays at home where I have larger tanks.  The Gentec travels with us, my wife used to be into making jewelry and she used the Gentec for that at shows.  I cannot the the difference in use, they are almost identical in appearance, but the Gentec was a lot cheaper.   https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:X:KSTP14-TSP