Author Topic: Broken sear spring  (Read 1930 times)

dmb25

Broken sear spring
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
So I have a hadaway (spelling might be wrong) lock with a broken sear spring is there a lock that parts could be easily modified to fit it

wet willy

Re: Broken sear spring
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »
Save the broken spring, it will be valuable for finding/making a replacement.

You could make a replacement w/spring steel blank (try Brownells for asst)

You could find one that's close, grind it to final shape, TotW has many spares for flint & percussion contemporary locks. Their catalog has numerous full size photos of lock parts

Your lock may be identical to locks with other brand/trade names, often imports from Italy or Spain. Or try L&R, perhaps they have a replacement of their make.

dmb25

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:47:20 AM »
Thanks modifying one is what I'm thinking are there any locks in production with close springs

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
Dixie Gun Works carries several replacement blanks. There is material left on to help fit correctly to your lock plate.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
After "Doc"Hadaway passed away in 1978 the fine little lock he made was no
longer being made and I never did find out what happened to the tooling for it.
He and I talked at the Spring Shoot in 1978 and he asked me to make one of my ketland
locks for a flint Hawken he was wanting to make.Before I could do his lock,he passed away
and the lock went to Australia.His little lock was perfect for small rifles and pistols.
It would be a welcome addition to what's now available to add to the good selection we
have.

Bob Roller

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
I just make them out of 1/32" spring stock that I get from Brownells.    It is a pretty quick job as long as you don't try to get fancy with it.   You can cut 1/32" steel with aviation snips.    I helped an apprentice make one for a lock once and I don't recall him having any really problem with it.     If you live near Richmond, VA,  I would be happy to help you make one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:43:41 PM by Mark Elliott »