Author Topic: Thoughts/questions on a Hawken gun barrel  (Read 2060 times)

Offline deepcreekdale

Thoughts/questions on a Hawken gun barrel
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
I was displaying at a show this past weekend and a gentleman approached me with a gun he was interested in selling. It was a typical mid 1970's style build, huge roman nose, poorly inlet parts, thick wood etc, way too many huge brass inlays in percussion. But, the barrel which was original, was marked D.T. Hawken, Springfield Ohio. Measured 44-45 cal, inch across the flats 41 inches long. Bore was fair to good. He said he would take $400.00. Not interested in the gun but what are the thoughts on getting that barrel and restocking it into something nicer. He said D.T Hawken was a cousin of the Jake and Sam, a quick internet search showed a D.T. Hawken in Springfield in about 1840-1850 but no mention of relationship to the famous brothers. I haven't researched in my print library yet  but am interested in the ideas from the members here. Worth getting? Maybe rerifling?
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Thoughts/questions on a Hawken gun barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
I know of one other DT Hawken rifle. It is a plain 1/2 stock with, I think, a walnut stock. It's owned by a family in Springfield. It's my understanding he was a relative of Jake and Sam. Cousin, nephew ????
Mark
Mark

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
Thanks Mark. I appreciate that. I figured there must be some relation, not a common name. I think it would be somewhat interesting if properly restocked.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:51:29 PM »
Like this?

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »
Those are beautiful Daryl, I love plains Hawkens and have built several. But I was thinking something more in the style that would be built in Springfield Ohio in the 1840's. Just a plain full or half stock rifle. As a 45 caliber, it was probably not intended for the western trade but for the local target shooting/farm gun sort of thing. I also don't want to create something that would be considered some sort of "fake". I think the family relationship is interesting enough and with that original stamp intact, that would make it sort of neat.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
THere  is a picture of an original DT Hawken in volume two of Ohio Longrifles by Whisker
  It is a halfstock.  Has a nice patchbox, but otherwise pretty plain .  Might give you some ideas
  Cannot find my other Ohio books but will keep looking