Author Topic: Sporran.  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Sporran.
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
Gents,
You are probably getting sick of my posts!
My defense is I have a 20-30 year backlog I'm working on.  :)
 Thoroughly enjoying being here though...seeing all the goodies you chaps create is fantastic!!

Not done much new for a few years, but appreciate critical replies, as I do like to learn, and only have one set of eyes. The more we see the more info  we can pull from.
Like a challenge, and thought that a Wooden cantled sporran that looked Plausible might be a challenge.
Historically, I don't think there were any.   (Where that puts me I don't know!)
But here is my offering for your input;

This is my own use sporran, and I don't like bling, but fancied a working model that looks old and worn, like granddad maybe used.
Made from a worn n-out  'leg -of -mutton' gun case, and some very old glove leather an aunt had on hand when she died in 1950!
Cantle is oak.  the re-used reins are the sporran belt and not quite right, but they work.
Pull knob on top is an old window fastener, from back home and came with us somehow.
For some reason, I managed to get all the leather seams inside, but was a struggle to turn after sewing!!

Critical replies most welcome.
Richard.

Black Hand

Re: Sporran.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
Nice work!
Use of repurposed (read FREE) materials makes a Scotsman (like me) proud.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:19 AM »
Ah, yes, fellow kilt wearers!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:34:41 AM »
Very nice. Been thinking about doing one myself from a little older period.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:04:11 AM »
What size is the Sporran? Was it used for carrying shooting supplies? I would like some examples of it's use. Is it used like a belt pouch would be? Thanks...

Offline webradbury

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
Sporrans were used to carry items that would normally be carried in the pockets. Kilts traditionally had no pockets, so this is what was used.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »
What size is the Sporran? Was it used for carrying shooting supplies? I would like some examples of it's use. Is it used like a belt pouch would be? Thanks...

Jerry ,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner....had to dig it out to measure.

Overall length is about 9 3/4"  without the button on the top, and max width is about 7 1/2".   Cantle, (wooden bit) is just over 6 1/2" wide.

Yes, as Web says, small stuff that would normally go in the pocket go in there. For hunting, a pouch would still be carried as well.

All the best,

Richard.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting. Jerry

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 03:11:12 AM »
As has been said, the sporran is a purse for personal stuff, such as tht which you'd carry in a pocket.  I wear a belted plaide or 'great kilt', so there's lots of folds and pouches to stuff things like bread, cheese, and sausage.  I made my sporran from a tanned kit beaver pelt, face on, and frankly it's good protection and warmth for the 'naughty bits', and keeps the kilt from offending the weak of heart when the wind picks up.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:11:55 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 04:59:53 AM »
D T,

Very nice outfit and am very pleased you are wearing the kilt at the right height, and not like so many these days, looking like an old spinster!
(Hose too high and kilt too low...overlapping!)

Is that an Andrea Ferrara blade?  :-)
 I always wanted to nick one from Blair Atholle.... 

Best regards,
Richard.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
Richard and Taylor.  Y'all are too much fun!   :-)   Keep it up.  My mom was half Scots, and went to Flora MacDonald College.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »

Is that an Andrea Ferrara blade?  Wouldn't that be something!!  No it's a replica from Windlass Steelcraft (Museum Replicas)  I had an opportunity years ago to buy a good original sword at a gun show in Calgary Alberta, but hesitated long enough to let the opportunity escape.  Regrets!
The belted plaide is one of the most comfortable garments I own...love wearing it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.