Author Topic: Gun oil  (Read 6444 times)

Rambler

Gun oil
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »
What type and brand of oil do ya'll recommend using to whip down the barrels [outside] on your longrifles as well as modern firearms .

Offline FlintFan

Re: Gun oil
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:15 AM »
Barricade by Birchwood Casey

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »
G96
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:03:52 AM »
Rambler; WWII, 2oz, Oil, Lubricating Preservative Light. Ord. Dept axs-702. I started using this gun oil in 1975. AJ.   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:04:55 AM »
I have used G96 for years and it works great.  I also have started using liquid film.  It is a lanolin based oil, and it has worked great for the past year as well.

Very happy with both.

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:29 AM »
I use Ballistol to clean and protect.   I use Breakfree on the moving parts.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:24:16 AM »
I use Ballistol too but good old 3in1 oil does a fine job too.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:29:20 AM »
CLP on moving parts, Birchwood Casey "Sheath" on everything else.  I believe "Sheath" is no longer made.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »
CLP on moving parts, Birchwood Casey "Sheath" on everything else.  I believe "Sheath" is no longer made.

Birchwood Casey still sells it, but under the name Barricade.  That's what I use, inside and out.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
What ever is on hand, doesn't much matter.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
I am with Mike. Any decent oil will be fine. I have used pretty much every kind out there at one time or another and have never noticed any difference. If I can get Remoil cheap at gunshows I use that mostly because of the kind of spout on the bottle itself but if the can of 3 in 1 is closer I use that.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

tuffy

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
I have used Rem-Oil for as long a I can remember. Actually, I shouldn't put it that way. I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday. But I have used Rem-Oil for a very long time. Works very well in extremely cold weather.

CW

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
I use bear oil both for lubricating the lock and for wiping down the barrel

Offline Frank

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
I have used countless oils over the years and have never found one to be appreciably better than the others. Using mostly 3 in 1 oil now because it has a nice handy spout on the bottle.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
I reach for the 3 in 1 oil.

And have for over a half a century and it has always given my firearms excellent protection.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rambler

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input . I like to see what everyone else thinks and to pick new ideas . Oh , and to correct my mistakes .

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
https://www.gamut.com/c/lubricants-chemicals/multipurpose-penetrants-lubricants?pla=fluid-film-rust-penetrating-preventing-multipurpose-lubricant-11.75-oz-container-size-NDgyODQ4&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp498W274&sc_intid=498W274&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkKvfnP_31gIVhDRpCh07twqTEAQYASABEgLnwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLPPnqD_99YCFVR5Ygodj68FrA

Smells nice, works, can be bought at the corner auto parts. 

On the other hand, I just threw away a 95% full can of PB Blaster penetrant.  IT is foul, noxious, horrible stuff.  I sprayed it on a rusty file inside the a trash can.  The noxious chmeical stench befouled the garage.  Just being out there caused my skin feel like it was buning.  It bothered my lungs.  The clothes dryer is in the garage;  the smell got in the clothes.  After two days of ventelating and removing the trash can, it still stinks out there.  Horrible stuff. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
3 in 1 or mobile 1 synthetic.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
Amsoil 0w30, 5w30, fluid to -50 or lower. Rubbing points, frizzen foot for example, get some lightweight synthetic gun grease.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
Just a head's-up.  My dad had some handguns that were lubed with 3-In-1 oil and stored for 20 years or so.  That oil set up just like contact cement.  The guns were just about frozen.  It took much soaking with modern solvents to get that stuff out.  Just sharing my experience with it.  I'd use something more modern and stable.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Ballistol for cleaning, white lithium grease for lubing, RIG for long term storage.  I don't use anything with Teflon or silicone in it.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
What ever is on hand, doesn't much matter.
Any old oil will do but when it comes to wax you have to have use Briwax?   ???
David

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »
All my hunting rifles and my pistols have the outside surfaces, top and bottom, coated with several coats of Johnson's paste wax. Other wax's could be better but I keep Johnson's on my workbench. I've been doing this for almost 10 years and it works great. When I come in from hunting I just take a clean cotton cloth and wipe all the fingerprints and marks off the metal and it's good to go.
If I oil a lock in the shop I use Mobil 1 5w-30 applied with a small brush to specific parts. Inside the house I have Jim Chambers micro oil and Rem oil. For the bore I use either Jim Chambers heavy bore oil or Rem oil. I use more Rem oil than any other because it's conveinient. Though I really can't see much difference in any of them.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Just a head's-up.  My dad had some handguns that were lubed with 3-In-1 oil and stored for 20 years or so.  That oil set up just like contact cement.  The guns were just about frozen.  It took much soaking with modern solvents to get that stuff out.
That's because the "3-in-1" make up consists of a lubricating liquid, a corrosion inhibitor and a cleaning agent ... hence 3-in-1.

Personally, when I want to clean, I just use a cleaner (water for BP, for me - or Ballistol), then a lube to lubricate and a preservative (like Birchwood Casey's 'Barricade') to protect.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »
I use Barricade, too; works like a charm.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.