Author Topic: Detached shop  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Mauser06

Detached shop
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
Anyone build in a detached shop that isn't climate controlled like a house typically is??

I am in the process of buying a house.

It has a pretty fair sized detached building... electric and water already ran to it. It does have a wood burner in it..

The building seems dry. No signs of water issues etc.

I still don't know if it's be wise to keep stocks out there..but I'm not sure.  Figured I would ask you guys.

Till I get on my feet, it's probably going to stay that way. Eventually maybe I will figure out a solution to keeping a steady climate.

Figuring I'd probably be safer to keep the wood in the house..carry it back and forth as I work on it each day. At least in the winter.

Maybe I'm over thinking it? 

Excited for the house.  Really excited to have a shop. It will take some time and work to get it setup how I envision...but the space fits ME very well. Ample space for many of my hobbies.

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Re: Detached shop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
I have a 16'x16', 2 story gambrel roof shop. Its got a coal stove and a small window AC unit, so its only climate controlled when I'm in it. And I go out of town for work for months at a time. It had black plastic stapled over the studs and insulation when I got it. Figured that would keep most the moisture out. But when I put thin press board paneling up on the walls it was bowed and wavy before I got my tools put away. But, then I put unoiled/unpainted car siding and pine trim up, and I haven't noticed any movement. Haven't noticed any real movement of stock wood either, and I have about 30 leaned against the wall, and built 3 guns since this time last year. My tools I leave out or hang up aren't rusting like they did in my old concrete block garage either. My book pages aren't wrinkled from moisture. Seems like kiln dried or seasoned wood does fine. Sure would be nice to have a single unit HVAC like in a hotel though.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:59:07 PM by Clear Spring Armory »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
I only had a wood stove for years in my current shop. Wood stocks are no problem. Barrels and all steel tools will rust away during temp changes during winter months, going from below freezing to above freezing makes metal sweat and then it rusts. I put in a LP gas furnace last year. No more problems now. I run it at about 40* at night and about 60* during the day.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
Hi Mauser,
My shop is well insulated and heated with a small propane Modine heater.  The heater is mounted on the ceiling and is very efficient at heating the shop. During the coldest months of the year here in Vermont with temperatures ranging -20 to 20 degrees F, I average about 1.25-1.5 gallons of LP used per day or about $2.50-$4.50 a day for heat depending on the severity and duration of really cold weather.  I have an unheated loft where I store my wood blanks.  During winter, I bring a blank down and let it sit in the heated shop for about a month before working on it.  If it is a plank of wood I will  band saw out the rough stock profile when the wood warms up but then let it sit for 3-4 weeks before doing more.  Beyond stocks and barrels, a hard freeze thaw cycle in your shop might play havoc with your tools and equipment.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
I have a 16 X 26 metal building for a shop. Since I am in Florida, cold weather in winter is not a problem. Heat in the summer is and even with air conditioning it can make it tough. I had a few days this year it was over 110 degrees with 80%+ humidity. Yes, productivity slowed although browning the barrels goes fast! :D  I have always kept stocks stored in my shop, I have about 15-20 stock blanks at present, some are over 10 years old and are just fine. Even when I did live up north while going to college back in the day, I never had any problem either up north or here in the south with tools, wood blanks or stocks while I was working with them or while they were being stored.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »
Detached shop in N Alabama, hot and humid in the summer, not too cold in the winter with 15 being about the as low as it gets.

No rust or wood warping problems. I do keep my files cleaned and oiled when not in use for a while.

My A/C heats and cools but only when I am working in the shop and it it summer time or the dead of winter.

Everyone who sees my shop pictures asks; "what is that long table in the middle of the floor". It is a glue up table and C clamp storage for laminating bamboo osage bows.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:58:11 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
If your sheetrock ceiling is OK then I would think stocks would be OK. This summer was the worst for me, very humid wood swelled leather molded, rust bloomed.
Two years ago I put a mini split heat pump in my house, (shop is detached) and I am considering one for the shop. AC and dehumidifier in summer, heat in winter till it gets below zero. The one in the house costs about $10.00 a month to run and I could put one half the size in the shop. I will still run the wood stove when I'm working. I like the smell, extra heat and it's a good way to use up scraps.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
I have a 16X20 foot log cabin my son and I built.  No heat.  No AC.  Stocks are fine but like Mike said, barrels need to be protected or they will rust waiting their turn.  Retiring soon so will put a wood stove in so I can stand the winter working out there.  May put in a window AC unit I have laying around.  Forge is in a building next the the shop.  May build another to combine the forge and workshop.  Depends if I can get my son to help me again.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
Thanx all!   

Should have mentioned, it is a block building. 2 sides are essentially under ground. 

I never really considered the heating/cooling and sweating effect and rusting.

Long term I will come up with plans and solutions. For the short term...next few years...it's going to do just fine for now.

Should mention I'm a hobby builder. Hour here n there when I have time. Now, with a house, I don't know if I will have more or less time. Lol. Having the house essentially frees up 3-4 hours of my day in itself.

It'll be a great place to work on everything though. As it sits, I think it's 30x30 or a couple feet bigger. 

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »
I work in a 32'x40' pole building which is insulated and wood product(OSB board) paneled.  It is primarily a well equipped wood working shop w/ central dust collection I built in 2009.  I use what Dave has mentioned, a ceiling mounted Modine "Hot Dawg" propane heater with atmosphere venting.  They are not cheap, around $2500 installed, but worth every penny.  I keep the thermostat at 50 degrees when not working just to keep glues and finishes from going bad, & lumber stable.  With this set up in eastern PA, I would say I average around $300 - $400 for propane a year.  I think the one thing that would give you problems will be the block, especially if 2 sides are below ground level.  When I started woodworking as a teenager, I used my Grammy's block garage.  Everything would take on moisture, surface rust, I would build projects only to take them in the house and watch them self destruct.  I would go with Clear Spring"s set up and get some tongue & groove or paneling put up to help with the moisture, or at least seal the block good and maybe run a good, safe heat source in winter and a de-humidifier in summer.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 04:13:44 AM »
I live in central VA and have a well insulated detached shop that is 540 sq ft enclosed.   I heat with with two 1500W space heaters.   One of them, an quartz heater with a fan, has a thermostat.   I just turned it on today and set it to 50F to keep the shop well above freezing.  When I am working in there,  I will push the temp up to 65 and plug in the other space heater.    Actually,  just turning on the ceiling lights raises the temp 2 degrees F.        I have a small window AC unit for the Summer, but even on the hotest day, it usually doesn't get over 80F in the shop without the AC.     I rarely used the AC this past Summer.    As long as you have electricity,   I would put a thermostatically controlled space heater in there just to keep the chill off and keep your pipes from freezing.   You can get an inexpensive space heater and a simple electric plug that will turn the heater on at 35F and off at 45F.   Just do a search on Amazon.   

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
  Well I have three shops. One in a 36/70 pole building no heat. 10/12 workshop in the back yard an a12/30 shop in the basement. The basement shop gives me the most trouble with rust. It has consistent heat. Go figure. Also I have stocks in the out building no problems. Basement not so good...
Oldtravler