Author Topic: Lock mortise  (Read 3124 times)

Uncle Alvah

Lock mortise
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
I'll be inletting for my lock soon. Considering this is my first build, can some of the center wood of the mortise be removed with a drill press and small Forstner bit, or should I stick with the chisels?

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Re: Lock mortise
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
For internal lock parts, certainly.  Mark the bit with tape or a collar for your stop point.  In fact, mark it a bit short of final depth.  For the lockplate and bolster, stick to chisels.  Make certain the lockplate is square with the top barrel flat.  Using a small square, check it often and make corrections.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Alvah,
Inlet the plate , with no internals FIRST.  Full depth, bolster tight against barrel.
Then you can mark your screw holes to lay out the internal parts, and use a drill press to get the holes augered out.
As with any power tool,  be careful, you can do a lot of damage......fast.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
That is how I inlet my locks only I use a small, straight router bit instead of a forestner bit.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Yes,
Just like single malt said.  Acer did a tutorial on piece by piece lock inlet in the tutorial section.  Unfortunately, the photos are held hostage by photobucket.  There is a temporary fix that you can do so that you can see the photos.  Look in the over the back fence section.  there is a thread about fixing the photo bucket thing. 

Acer's tutorial would be a good thing to look at for your first lock inlet.  If you can't see the photos, then certainly reference a good building book.

As single malt said, start with the bolster and lock plate using chisels.  Once you get that in just as you want it, pencil in all the screw holes and the cock hole, through the lock onto the background.  That will tell you where most of the lock internals go.  You can then trace the pattern of the lock internals and use a drill bit or forstner bit to take out wood.  Don't take too much!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:49 PM »
Take a look at Mike Brooks' tutorial on gun building; it's in the ALR tutorial section.  It covers a lot of things quite well, including the inlet for the lock.  Lots of pictures as well.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31173.0

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »

"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
Other than inside the lock mortise there is one other hole you will want to drill and that is immediately below the hole where the sear bar will be. The hole 1/4" dia., and on the exact centerline marking where your trigger bar will be inlet. The hole allows you to see the sear bar and to exactly position the triggers for inletting.

The only pix I have is of a plains rifle trigger bar inlet but it shows the hole I am speaking of (below)

When you've completed the lock plate and bolster inlet, prior to drilling the holes for the lock internals, it ought to look something like this...

Go slow, be sure.

dave

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:55:12 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
Go to a hardware or Lowe's/Home Depot and pick up a depth gauge.  They're not expensive, but worth their weight in gold.

Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:49 PM »
A mechanical pencil works as a depth gage. Just stick the lead way out, touch the bottom of the cavity, and then let the lead retract as you push the pencil into the mortice.

Works great for checking the rr hole spacing thru the bottom of the barrel channel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.