Author Topic: ALR Museum Master gunsmith: Simon Miller ( Upper Susquehanna School)  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Simon Miller: ( Upper Susquehanna School)

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46216.0

The Library Committee

( we are back, send us some more photos of longrifles , please)

Offline eastwind

Re: ALR Museum Master gunsmith: Simon Miller ( Upper Susquehanna School)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
Fred/Dennis: Nice Miller rifle. As far as my research found Simon Miller worked most of his career in Hamburg, Berks County, Pennsylvania. Admittedly, only a few miles South of Schuylkill County today, just below the Blue Mountains. Hamburg is almost the end of Northern navigation of the Schuylkill River and its likely Miller sent rifles south by barge to Reading. In any case, even though he was just South of the area we consider "Upper Susquehanna", I think of him as a Berks County maker and not so much an upper Susquehanna gunsmith. He was apparently a prolific gunsmith as I've seen at least six - seven of his rifles and owned two over the years.

Keep up the good work ...

Patrick Hornberger
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:33:39 PM »
Fred -  Yes, this is a truly fine Miller rifle, perhaps the best known.  It is original flint.  I looked carefully at this rifle when my good buddy, Jack, had it on consignment here in Denver.  However, I passed on it since it seemed a bit repetitive as I had just sold a fine S. Miller (also original flint) incised carved rifle this past May which I had owned for over 30 years.  The two special things, in my opinion, about this rifle (besides being quite fancy) are of course the rare take-down feature and that the design of the carving is very reminiscent of a earlier style "Golden Age" carving which I have never seen on a Miller rifle and which I believe, but could be mistaken, very uncommon for rifles of this period in the area where this rifle was made.
Thanks for all you do for this great blog.
Arnie

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:36 PM »
Very interesting the manner in which the wrist inlays on the cheek side overlay a portion of the carved design.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
Eric,
Agreed, the border engraving is different on the wrist and fish inlays from the rest of the furniture and the fact as you said over the carving. Looks like a little wood replacement under the lock also, original flint?

Still a nice gun.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:16:30 PM by Buck »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Again (trying to be PC here, things seem a bit sensitive of late...) it's a beautiful rifle.  I'm not particularly studious of Miller's work but I've seen a few and this certainly is one of his better if not best examples, at least in regard to those that I have seen. 

If that lock is original flint, I'm a purple unicorn.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
Eric - I have sincere appreciation for your opinion re the lock being original flint ?? and you could be correct.  I did notice when actually handling the rifle the:  corrosion below the pan consistent with it possibly having been percussion at one time;  there is also the excess corrosion of the word "Ketland" as well as the top jaw screw finish.  I honestly do not believe that there has been any wood replaced around the lock.  Also, honestly, the barrel touch-hole area truly looks OK so if "it" has been reconverted from a percussion drum its one heck of a job; but I too, like you, know today there are many talented gunsmiths who can  do a undetectable job.  I discussed all of this with Jack (Brooks - who I imagine many of you are familiar with in terms of his incredible reputation as both a maker of fine Longrifles and as a restoration gunsmith) and his answer was that he honestly thought it was original flint and that he had taken the lock out and saw no evidence to the contrary.  I did not see the lock removed myself so respecting Jack as I do and as a 40+ year friend I took his word for it  So, I guess I personally don't know and should not have been so "positive" with my earlier comment.  I also noticed the inlay engraving differences and placement but they sure look OK and are definitely period.  Maybe I did not examine the rifle as closely as I should have since I decided early on not to buy it.  Regardless of my to long of reply, its still a heck of a fine rifle. Also, in my opinion, it is never politically incorrect to question and discuss any of the features of any rifle as that's how we all learn from each other.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
Mr. Dowd,
The wood beneath the lock has been replaced, maybe the main spring popped and broke the wood. I don't think it's original flint, it doesn't detract from the rifle. As far as the best I am not a follower of his work. Could be or maybe not, I like the gun reconverted or not, nice piece.

Buck

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:03:01 AM »
Buck -  I then stand corrected and, like you, have never thought a proper reconversion under most circumstances in any way detracts from a fine Longrifle. Thank You

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
Buck -  In fairness,  I would like to include since there a differences of opinion by the many people who read, reply and enjoy this blog that although I personally feel reasonable (hopefully minimal) and properly done restoration is acceptable;  I also accept and respect the opinion of those students and collectors who prefer that NO restoration (except for perhaps stability and safety) be done on any rifle, pistol, fowler, etc. so that the gun can be seen, studied and appreciated for its untouched evolution and history.  Again, Sincere Thanks, Arnie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
I believe Kettenburg may be a purple unicorn on this one. ;D Lock looks legit to me. But  , I'm not sure it makes much difference.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
I’m purple too but have 2 horns. If I had to bet one way or t’other I’d bet it was originally flint and is now nicely restored to flint. But no matter, a delightful addition.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:58 PM »
Buck -  You are correct in that there is a wood repair below the lock.  I had lunch to day (took it over) with Jack as he just had a knee replacement about 10 days ago.  I told him of this thread and he looked at it and said "yes" although he had not seen it or paid enough attention to it until the man who purchased it came to pick it up and they both then made note of it.
However, he still thinks it is original flint but agrees that it would make no difference as its still a very fine rifle.
Arnie