Author Topic: smooth bores  (Read 3359 times)

Offline yip

smooth bores
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »
 were can one get plans on building smooth bores. planning on a smooth bore for next build, never make one before and want to do it right. built plenty of rifles now to broaden  my horizons.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: smooth bores
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:23:29 PM »
Smooth bores is pretty wide. Musket?  What country and model? Militia musket?  Trade gun?  If so, Dutch, French, or English?  What era?  Fowling piece?  Continental or American?  Hudson Valley?  New England?  Pennsylvania?

Smooth rifle?  From when and where?
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:02:43 AM »
Both volumes of RCA have some interesting smooth rifles.  TOW has what looks like an interesting book on fowlers.  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/278/1/BOOK-FF-S
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline jaeren

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:33 AM »
http://www.flintlocks.com/

To get some ideas check here. If a kit is what you want then this is also a good resource.
But you'll see different styles and types of both smooth rifles and fowlers. Not to mention rifles.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »
You'll find plans for a Thomas Earle Massachusetts fowler on Eric von Aschwege's website, Neahkahnie Flintlocks:

http://www.neahkahnieflintlocks.com/plans.html

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:34:49 AM »
 i'm looking at a Pennsylvania fowling piece

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Tom Grinslade`s  Fowler book is hard to beat. A ton of good examples , and good pics.  Nate

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:32 PM »
Tom Grinslade`s  Fowler book is hard to beat. A ton of good examples , and good pics.  Nate
I second Nate's recommendation for Tom Grinslade's  Fowler book.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Buy books, make own patterns, I do for every gun I build. Most patterns that are commercially available look to have been drawn by somebody who doesn't build guns.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:51:27 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
 i just ordered the Tom Grinslade book on fowlers, i hope its the right book i'm looking for.

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 01:02:19 AM »
i just ordered the Tom Grinslade book on fowlers, i hope its the right book i'm looking for.
Yip, I have had the book since it first came out, and still continue ,to find cool things in it every time I look through it again . When you study the American fowler , in the groupings he puts them in they make sense . He points out a LOT of little subtleties that set them apart and, points that group certain ones together . Well worth the money. JMHO   Nate