Author Topic: Gunstockers Bench  (Read 15530 times)

Offline BJH

Gunstockers Bench
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:34:32 AM »
After some years of using my gunstockers bench I have found a deficiency in my clamping arrangement. The carriage bolt I was using would wear and gall/seize up necessitating hack sawing it off and replacing it periodically. After some thought and research I came up with this set up using 1/2 acme threaded rod, nuts and a threaded handle. Acme threads are designed to take higher loads and are more durable under repeated use. The parts all come from Mc Master Carr. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here we go...Special thanks to my son for helping me to post the pics.

Plans for this project are for sale in the classified section of the forum all proceeds benifit ALR  BJH
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:11:23 AM by Ky-Flinter »
BJH

Offline webradbury

Re: Gunstockers Bench
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
What kind if wood is that? Very nice. I Need to build one before my next build.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
I built something just like that but used a wood vise screw from Woodcraft. They sell just the screw with a cross piece where you can fit a handle that works great. I worked off a regular work bench for 35 years until I built a setup like this. Never will go back to a bench again for gunstocking. Since I usually have a few projects going, I built a second one I use as a "finishing bench" where everything is padded and covered with some carpet remnants for final assembly, tuning of triggers, locks etc without worrying about scratches, dents etc. In answer to webradbury, I built mine out of yellow pine. It is plenty heavy, durable and solid. Weight is your friend with these benches.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
The bench is constructed from 2 by 6 construction lumber. Except for the two pieces of wood for the vise. These are hickory, oak pallet runner material would do just as well. The finish is just pigmented polyurethane varnish.  The support block slides on the grooved ways of the large horizontal beam. I haven't had need to change this arrangement after building 6 guns. The strap in the picture is the tie down. The bench also works nicely using a couple of fixtures clamped in the vise for horn work.  The whole setup weighs around 100 lbs, as said before weight is your friend. It also breaks down into 5 pieces so I can take it to some public demonstrations or shows. BJH
BJH

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
BJH , Thanks posting , I have wanted to build one of these for a while. That ACME thread will give you good service.   Nate

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Very nice of you to do this for the ALR.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:43 PM »
BJH, Nice idea for the bench and nicely made too. Is the gun stock material shown spalted maple? If so, how is it to work with as a gunstock wood?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline BJH

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »
The spalted maple is not nice to work with. Not only does it have hard and soft patches it has big wide curl. Boy am I glad I'm not going to carve this one. BJH
BJH

Maineshops

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
Very nice bench. I’m going to build one to sit at to do the handwork. Can’t stand fo any length of time anymore. I think I will incorporate a post to hang the fordom on too. Old arther forces me to do as much mechanically as I can. Thanks for sharing this tool . Dan

greywuuf

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
I decided to build one of these....and bought some lumber yesterday. I have what I want pretty well fixed in my mind. I however decided that I would throw a little money towards the website and decided to buy the plans ...  Only trouble is I can't find them.....can you be a little more specific as to where to get them?

Offline BJH

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
The information for the plans is listed under for sale in the forums classifieds. BJH

Here's a link... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46224.0  -Ron, 10/19/2017

Unfortunately the ad for the plans has been removed.  -Ron, 1/18/2022
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:15:08 AM by Ky-Flinter »
BJH

greywuuf

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the link . . I really did look .  First three pages under every heading in classified ...eyes are not what they used to ..must have missed it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:45:21 PM by greywuuf »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something...what's the yellow strap for? 

Going to be setting up a new shop and really like the design of this..and it's probably cheaper than buying just 1 good vice..can't imagine there is a whole lot of cost into it. 

Can work around the rifle and if you don't have the space slide it out of the way when needed..don't have a big fixed bench in the middle of the floor..

Online Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
At a guess, the yellow strap is used to hold down the front of the stock, while working on the butt end, so nothing shifts.

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 04:17:10 AM »
The yellow strap is a generic tie down strap. I scrounged it up at work from one that was cut. I use it to tye down the other end of the stock if I need to get a bit froggie with it. Most of the time the barrel and forend is weight enough to do what I need to do. I tie the forend down less than twenty percent of the time. BJH
BJH

jb303

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
BJH,

This looks like a honey of a bench and exactly what I've needed for quite some time. PM sent to you and funds sent via Pay Pal as advised in your previous link.

Many thanks for sharing the knowledge.

jb303

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:28 AM »
Thanx for the reply. Didn't notice that the one end didn't have a vice.

Offline Woodbutcher

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 02:59:44 AM »
Sent, looking forward to the delivery. Woodbutcher

Offline BJH

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
In the plan sets I omitted the roll pin I used and illustrated in the bill of materials, it's just a common 1/8 dial roll pin. These are available at your local hardware store. All sets that were ordered up to a day or so ago are on their way. BJH
BJH

ddoyle

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 02:15:32 AM »
BJH sells this bench abit short in my opinion, it is more then just a stocking bench. It is so stable and nice to work around that it really shines with more vise then less.  Been using this one daily for 2 years and cannot say enough good about it. Simply makes it physically easier to do good work.  for example With a drill press vise mounted on the end you can stand on the 'foot' and push straight down to remove the most stubborn breech plug with no fear.  With a machine vise mounted you can move around the work while filing, real nice.  The best part is that it cannot support clutter so you always have a work space ready to work. Being able to clean up the work area by just moving the bench and sweeping is a nice thing that I did not anticipate. takes 2 mins to leave the space fire safe and nieghbour approved no matter how much mess you make.-  oh and an anvil mounted above the leg works works passabley well but maybe a bit high- better then no anvil! . great all around tool.

What ever i paid for the plans sure was worth it.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:22:04 AM by ddoyle »

Offline BJH

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
Would you photograph the vise end of you bench and post it please. I like your wooden vise set up. It definitely has a more classic wood workers vise look and form than mine does. I'm always happy to see an other craftsmans take on an idea. After all Ian Pratt's bench gave me the idea for my interpretation. BJH
BJH

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
I second BJH's request. I like that set up. Would be interested to see how it hinges at the bottom.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
Received the plans. Look great and thanks for doing this!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
I want to thank BJH for making these plans available and his willingness to donate the funds to ALR. Hopefully I acknowledged all the donations that were sent, if I happened to miss any I apologize and can assure you that the donation was appreciated.

Our annual hosting bill comes due around the end of the year or the beginning of 2018, can't remember for sure but its always great to have those funds available when the bill comes. Its great to know that ALR members are willing to keep ALR online and ad free! I hate those pop-up ads and I know you do to.

Thanks again for the donations (both recent and earlier in the year),
Dennis Glazener
ALR Admin
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jim alford

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:02 AM »
DENNIS , I GUESS I'VE BEEN ASLEEP UNDER A LOG SOMEWHERE . HOW & WHERE DO WE SEND DONATIONS TO SUPPORT THE SITE ?