Author Topic: What Do I Have?  (Read 4793 times)

Jason Tompkins

What Do I Have?
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:06 AM »
I would love Any information about this rifle. I received it as a present. Is it old? How old? Who would have made it? Where on the rifle is information found on it? I can't find any writing except "warrented" on the plate above the trigger, and this part looks new. Thank you for your time.
Jason

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: What Do I Have?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Looks like a kit from Dixie gunworks ca. 1950's-60's.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Or it could be one of Turner Kirkland's Belgian made "Pennsylvania" rifles.
                                             Dan

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
 Or, one made following McCrory.

Tim C.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
Judging by the stock shape, it is a Numrich kit rifle
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Jason Tompkins

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:32 AM »
Does it have any value? Thanks for the information so far. :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:20:02 AM »
It's a basic shooter but not a real collectible and not particularly high quality or performance. Somewhere in the $100-$200 range maybe.
Andover, Vermont

Jason Tompkins

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:03 AM »
Thank you. :)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
Slap my face and call me cartridge shooter, but this looks more like a Dixie Gun than anything else.  I wouldn't be so quick to discount its value...yet.

If you're one of the gunmakers who was around in the era when us kids went from The MIckey Mouse Club to the rice paddies, please add something to this thread.  Maybe somebody has an old catalogue somewhere?

I ain't dead yet, but I can see it from here, and I seem to remember that Numerich always had a rounded, uneven patchbox on their Minute Man Guns that looked like somebody spilled paint on the stock.  This patchbox  looks like a Belgian piece in guns that were  new in the Dixie catalogue  before they started selling parts and kits.

Somebody once told me that the reason the first catalogue guns came from Belgium was because, during the first part of the twentieth century, The Belgians were still selling guns in the third world and it was not  hard for them to tool up when an Entrepeneur like Turner Kirkland showed up with a fistful of ideas.  Sounds intriguing, and I always wanted to know if this was true.

I don't remember ever seeing a Roman Nose butt stock on a Numerich gun, and the wrist on this guy is way more substantial than I ever saw on one of their guns.

The ironic thing is that, if it was from the fifties or sixties, it may well be a collectors item in and of itself.

Be sure you're right, then go ahead...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
This is not a Numrich minute man. I have one complete Minute man, and one in parts, and they look nothing like this gun. They have a similar lock, but it has a gooseneck cock instead of a double throat one, and no Romannosed stock. The patchbox on the Minute mans is sheet brass, not cast, and is as stated, large, and an irregular shape. The minute man also had a single trigger. Some of the hardware may have come from the same source, but that is the only similarity.

Hungry Horse

Offline bowkill

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 02:59:57 AM »
I have see this gun in person, if it is a Dixie gun someone has added to it here and there. May be a kit..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:14:03 PM by bowkill »
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)