Author Topic: Special Exhibit and Lecture: A newly discovered "Rifle of Colonial America"  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
RCA  “X” (Never before seen by the Kentucky Rifle Public)

A Rifle of Colonial America…”#X” ..a newly discovered  ~1780 long rifle, never before seen publicly, will be exhibited for the first time at 4:00 PM on Friday at Virginia KRA show. Wallace Gusler, eminent scholar and authority on Kentucky Rifles,  will present a lecture about this rifle and its “ significance and period characteristics” in a slide show of detail photos   

The 33rd Annual Virginia - Kentucky Rifle Show that will be on Oct 27th and 28th. It is a great show that is held in a great location. This years show will be extra special due to the number of early Virginia rifles that will be on display. The Kentucky Rifle Foundation will have a display of rifles from the Giles Cromwell collection that is featured in his new book at our table. There will also be another display of early Virginia rifles by another table holder close to ours. The show is located at the Holiday Inn and Suites at Front Royal, Virginia. The details about the show can be found in the Classified section that lists the upcoming show schedules on this site. The show is open to the KRA, CLA, HCH and NMLRA members. Otherwise you must make contact in advance to gain entrance.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
I will be there and will be looking forward to seeing this rifle and all the other great rifle that will be at this show.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Take pictures!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Hurricane,

For those of us who cannot attend the Show, will Mr. Gusler's lecture be recorded and possibly posted here?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Jim Chambers

Looking forward to the show.  I will be there with two tables full of the contemporary rifles from the Bob Routhton collection.  Several will be Virginia style pieces.  Stop by and say hello even if you're not interested in any of these pieces.
Jim Chambers

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Ladies and Gentlemen...step right up.   ;D  Wish I could go.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline lexington1

Hurricane,

For those of us who cannot attend the Show, will Mr. Gusler's lecture be recorded and possibly posted here?

That would be great. I have 0% chance of going!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:20:05 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Well all this fluffy fun aside, I hope that some pictures will be posted as well as an outline of Wallace's discussion of the piece.  I've not talked to him in quite some time now and I'm a bit out of the loop insofar as what he's turned up.  The teaser cheek photo appears to be quite interesting.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Elnathan

Well all this fluffy fun aside, I hope that some pictures will be posted as well as an outline of Wallace's discussion of the piece.  I've not talked to him in quite some time now and I'm a bit out of the loop insofar as what he's turned up.  The teaser cheek photo appears to be quite interesting.

I sincerely hope so. I'm intensely curious, but there is no way I can possibly go see it in person.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline DaveM

Interesting / odd face on the inlay, will also be interested to see more photos.  Is that walnut?  The grain almost looks like a curly walnut to me but hard to tell from one closeup.

Offline Shreckmeister

Interesting / odd face on the inlay, will also be interested to see more photos.  Is that walnut?  The grain almost looks like a curly walnut to me but hard to tell from one closeup.
   Is it an eastern woodland native with stretched ear lobes?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Stith

Come on Fred
Surely you can show us more than that little teaser photo

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Come on Fred
Surely you can show us more than that little teaser photo

"If you wanna   see more, you gotta come inside & pay",  ;D

Offline Clowdis

Re: Special Exhibit and Lecture: A newly discovered "Rifle of Colonial America"
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
Wow, all this lead up....and nothing, not even a maker.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Exactly :(

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
It would be nice to see.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:15 AM »
Wow, all this lead up....and nothing, not even a maker.
Must have been discovered to actually be a heavily modified CVA..... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Maybe we need to bombard Hurricane with PM's to get him to  share some photos.
 Any other thoughts?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
Let's all take it easy on Fred!  I don't know any 'inside info' but I suspect the original posting was utilized as something of an advertisement for Wallace's lecture and in reality the rifle's owner or Wallace (or both) are in control of the photos and/or the rifle itself.

I'd like to see it as much as anyone else but I have a gut feel that the photos are not going to be posted here prior to being perhaps published somewhere?  You know, the free milk and the cow thing...

It sure is an interesting cheek inlay.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!