Author Topic: T. Blissett 18 ga Percussion Double Shotgun...Any Info Appreciated  (Read 2198 times)

Offline tippit

I just picked up a T. Blissett  double barrel shotgun...probably an 18 ga as 20 ga wades are to small and 16 ga wades too large except for the over shot cardboard.  Markings are Liverpool on top between barrels and T. Blissett on side lock plates.  Included picture of test proof marks on under side of barrels along with a number 1505.  It is in nice condition with the left hammer having been replaced...right hammer matches the engraving on the side lock.  I have an approximate date of some where around 1845-55 not sure if that is correct.  I do plan on using it. Any info would be appreciated...tippit

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:23:10 PM by tippit »

Offline T*O*F

Re: T. Blissett 18 ga Percussion Double Shotgun...Any Info Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
Blisett, Thomas  London and Liverpool

The Liverpool Blisetts are first recorded at 38 South Castle St. in 1834.  In 1835, the address changes but they remain on South Castle St, where they are listed until 1870.

In 1900, the firm was at No. 36 South Castle St, but there is mention that they had a London address at 10 Water Lane between 1863 and 1864.

It is doubtful that your gun is an early one, but it could fall anywhere between 1834 and 1870.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline tippit

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »
T*O*F
Thanks for the info reply.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:37:48 AM by tippit »

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
Try posting your question and the pictures here.  These guys can probably come up with information for you.  That is a very cool gun. I am an absolute sucker for these things and I consider it a real find.  Best Regards, Jack   
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php