Author Topic: You never know what's inside  (Read 6553 times)

RichardW

Re: You never know what's inside
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
A few years back I was cutting up a huge old apple tree that was damaged in a storm and found what appeared to be buck shot. The saw never slowed down. No idea how long ago that was shot in there. By then I had been on the property for about 25 years and I didn't shoot it.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 03:02:52 PM »
Dad found a full set of dogs and a swivel in his wood stove ashes after burning the crotch of an old beech. I put some oil on the swivel and got it loose and they look like you could still use them. (This is a device used by teamsters to connect several logs end to end to drag them out of the woods. There are two J-hooks connected by a couple chain links to a swivel in the middle. The logger would drive one j- hook into the back of one log and the the other into the front of the next log as he was making up his train).
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Shawn Henderly

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Back in the 1960s My great grandfather cut down a bunch of locust trees around the old hog pen. He split open a gnarly looking crotch and found a 1849 colt. It was crusted in rust but one of my kin still has it.It was outside Somerset Ohio so no cool battle story somebody was likely using it to kill hogs for slaughter and mislaid it. 

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 02:57:10 AM »
I do a fair amount of sawing, both firewood and maintaining family land. For the big stuff I use a large Husqvarna Pro model and cutting into fence staples, nails, barbwire and other farming type metals is common. Anything of size just dulls the chain on contact. Sometimes it makes me hot under the collar to say the least.
But the strangest thing I found in my own yard. It was a plow tip buried over halfway deep in the top of a fat lighterd stump. I think many years ago  this land was covered with pines, some quite large, so to create more cropland some one cut all those trees off about a foot under the ground. And later while plowing with a Georgia mule they hit this one large stump and really drove it in deep. Unfortunately for me, even fat lighter will rot over time leaving a hole where the wood once was. In my case many holes and depressions began showing up. I took on the project of getting them all up and filling the holes with dirt, this is when I found the plow point.
American horses of Arabian descent.