Author Topic: Later Lehigh rifles  (Read 2462 times)

Offline FALout

Later Lehigh rifles
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:53:00 AM »
I've been trying to study Lehigh rifles, is there a book that goes into any detail on later period Lehigh's ?  Did this style of rifle drop out of existence after the war?  Most that I have seen pics of, had either wooden patchbox covers or simple brass.  I do have the KRA disc on Lehigh's and RCA I and II,  but would like to see more examples if possible.  Questions come to mind like, did they retain the step on underside of wrist, did wrist stay wider then the height, what about open nose cap.  Any suggestions on reading/pic material would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
Bob

54ball

Re: Later Lehigh rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:39:03 AM »
 Firstly, Classic Lehighs are all post Revolution if that is the "War" you refer. They reach their "classic" form by  1790-1800 and were made well ito the percussion period.

Yes they do have a slight step toe, so slight in fact I did not notice until just now. This step may diminish in later period Rifles.

The wide wrist is a feature.
 So is the open face nose cap.
 So is the v-shaped upper forestock.
 So is the curve down to the toe.
 So is the Roman Nose comb.
 So is the Liberty Lady or Indian Head engraved on metal (inlay) or carved into the wood.
 So is insised carving.
 So is lots of inlays on later pieces.
 So is very plain but with the Leghigh architecture on Late rifles as well.

Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle and It's Golden Age by Kindig may be a better book for you.

A good thing to do is go to a longrifle show so you can see them in person.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:46:53 AM by 54ball »

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
Having seen quite a few with wooden patchbox covers, I thought they were earlier then 1790.  I wish I could get to some of these longrifle shows, between work and travel distances, not likely, at least right now.
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
I've been trying to study Lehigh rifles, is there a book that goes into any detail on later period Lehigh's ?  Did this style of rifle drop out of existence after the war?  Most that I have seen pics of, had either wooden patchbox covers or simple brass.  I do have the KRA disc on Lehigh's and RCA I and II,  but would like to see more examples if possible.  Questions come to mind like, did they retain the step on underside of wrist, did wrist stay wider then the height, what about open nose cap.  Any suggestions on reading/pic material would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
The KRA discs are about the best resource I've seen for these. It would be really cool if they included all of the important dimensions but collectors probably don't care much about that sort of thing.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
  If you see Allen Martin at a show. Talk to him. Also check out his web site. He has the Lehighs down to a science. Oldtravler

Hemo

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
I agree with the KRA Lehigh CD for details--I also wish these discs included some vital statistics like dimensions, caliber, smooth versus rifled, etc. I used the KRA Lehigh disc to make a fairly literal copy of a J. Rupp attributed rifle with a side-opening patchbox.

Also check out Eric von Aschwege's site:

http://www.neahkahnieflintlocks.com/

In his tutorial section he has an article on features of Lehigh rifles as well has how to make and apply violin red finish, typical for Lehighs. He also sells full sized paper plans for several Lehigh rifles.

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:56:47 PM by Hemo »