Author Topic: Octagon to round barrel transition  (Read 2134 times)

Offline RockLock92

Octagon to round barrel transition
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »
Hello,

Recently I purchased an octagon to round barrel for a pistol build and it doesn’t have a wedding band at the transition point. My question is how common was this? Is it indicative of a certain period or style? I considered attempting to hand file a band on the top flats, but then I got to thinking that it could be a neat way to set off my pistol from a lot of others assuming that it isn’t incorrect. I’m attempting to put together an American holster pistol similar to the pistols on Clay Smith’s web site.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline alex e.

Re: Octagon to round barrel transition
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
Common enough. I see it on trade guns,some military pistols on mid to early 1700's . Actually a hand filed wedding band looks much better than one done on a lathe.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
That barrel looks straight octagon to straight round. Would that not be more of an early 19th C feature ?  Every 18th C pistol barrel I've seen has been either tapered, or "swamped" 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »
You need to file a wedding band on that one. There were barrels that faded from oct to round with out a wedding band but the transition on that barrel is too abrupt. Most (Maybe all) of the old barrels had hand filed  wedding bands.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
That barrel looks straight octagon to straight round. Would that not be more of an early 19th C feature ?  Every 18th C pistol barrel I've seen has been either tapered, or "swamped"

It’s tapered but it’s pretty subtle