Author Topic: Engraving  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Bill Raby

Engraving
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
   I am at the point in my rifle build where it is time to do the engraving. I am keeping things pretty simple, but this is the first time I am trying more than just a line or two. I don't have a fancy pneumatic graver so I doing it with a small chasing hammer. I don't have much engraving experience. So I am practicing. The engraving will be on brass, but I am practicing the designs on steel. Figure if I can get it to work on steel, doing it on brass will be easy. I got the sharpening and all the angles figured out on the graver. It cuts like a dream. But I just can't get a smooth curve or keep it on the lines. I would be pulling my hair out if I was not already bald! Just wondering if anyone has any answers other than to just practice more. The You Tube guys make it look so easy!

Offline L. Akers

Re: Engraving
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
Keep your hammer blows very light and practice, practice, practice.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
You must turn at your waist when cutting curves, don't use your arms or your wrists. Also, practice on the material you'll be engraving. I find some steels to be far easier to engrave than brass. 12L14 is my favorite to engrave, followed by what ever Chambers casts his brass parts out of. I find Goehrings brass mounts nearly impossible to engrave.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
Believe it or not but brass is harder to cut than steel so the suggestion to practice on the material that you are going to final cut is the material you should practice on. Not getting a clean cut in a tight curl is caused by heal drag. The best way to prevent this is to use a parallel heel on your graver. Steve Lindsay has a great little fixture that has been discussed quite a bit on this forum that will give you the parallel heel at a reasonable cost. Good luck with your engraving I hope it turns out well for you.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
 A parallel heel will only help if you are cutting too deep. The biggest problem with heel drag is too long of a heel. Anything over about .025 or .030 is too long.  Also when going around a curve lean the graver to the outside some.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 04:23:48 AM »
My tight curls are coming out great. Problem is the long gradual curves. All goes pretty well when I Just keep going. But every now and then I have to stop to move into a new position. When I get going again, everything goes downhill. Not having any problem at all with straight lines. First part will be something simple on the toe plate. Then something simple on the patch box. I figure the only difference between me and the guys that do the engraving for Holland & Holland is about 80,000 hours of practice.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
Here's a link to the fixture Bama was talking about.  http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
As Jim and Mike pointed out, steel is much easier to engrave than brass. Cast brass can be difficult due to uneven grain structure while sheet brass tends to have a grain that runs in on direction, almost like wood. But don't worry, just keep practicing learn to be self critical and you will be fine. Look closely at original engraving as done by colonial gunsmiths. With few exceptions, most of their engraving was pretty rough and poorly executed. We have much higher standards and expectations. We compare engraving to pictures we see of the finest engravers in the world. The typical frontier rifleman would have been dazzled by any crude scratching on the metal of his gun. Not to say you work can be poor, but don't beat yourself up if it is not perfect, practice constantly and have fun.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt