Author Topic: Determining Lock Size  (Read 1577 times)

Offline James

Determining Lock Size
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
I searched 'lock size', didn't take me where I needed to be.  How should I word the search so that I can find how to decide when to use a small or large lock based on breech size?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:49:18 AM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Determining Lock Size
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
Early guns had barrels that were large at the breech and locks were correspondingly large. Later guns often had slimmer barrels and locks became more trim also. Lock choice depends as much on era and style as barrel diameter.

7/8” at breech is probably where a smaller lock works better. At same time one could make a Late Ketland Work on a 15/-6” barrel.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
Early guns had barrels that were large at the breech and locks were correspondingly large. Later guns often had slimmer barrels and locks became more trim also. Lock choice depends as much on era and style as barrel diameter.

7/8” at breech is probably where a smaller lock works better. At same time one could make a Late Ketland Work on a 15/-6” barrel.
I have seen Late Kentland's on chunk guns with 1 1/4" barrels. Looks fine if you know what you're doing. But "generally , as you stated well, the smaller the barrel the smaller the lock.
 I have put rifle sized locks on pistols in the past that I thought came out well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
I've always liked the looks of somewhat larger locks on long guns.  Often, smaller ones are more efficient; it's just that, well.......but what do I know.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.