Author Topic: North Carolina Contract Rifle Completed  (Read 3158 times)

Offline SR James

North Carolina Contract Rifle Completed
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:01:00 AM »
Well, it hasn't been six months since we were challenged to post pics of the projects we responded with to Mike's question about everyone's upcoming projects but I didn't want to drag this one out until March.  So here it is, my copy of a North Carolina contract rifle. L&R late English lock, 36" Green Mountain 15/16ths .54 cal. barrel.  The trigger guard and butt plate came from Roger Sells.  Thanks Roger.  The stock is the softest piece of curly maple I've ever had the displeasure of working on.  It fought me all the way, even with sharp tools.  The color was achieved with one application of ferric chloride, heat blushed, with an overlay of Gale Lock "antique walnut" stain.  My experience so far with ferric chloride is that, unlike ferric nitrate or AF, you get almost no red tones.  On this stock the color was a little too much of  a mud brown to my taste.  The antique walnut gave it just the slightest hint of red, just enough to give the brown a little life.  FC is tricky to work with; very easy to overheat to almost black.  However, this can be used to advantage if you want the stock to have a vintage look by heating areas you want to be darker just a bit more.  I also used the FC to "age" the metal parts.
Now to see if I can squeeze that Bucks County in before the six month deadline runs out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: North Carolina Contract Rifle Completed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:24:13 AM »
James, I'm not familiar with NC Contract rifles but is looks like it should be a dandy hunting rifle.  Is it inspired by any particular gun?  I like that patchbox, is that your own design and handiwork?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Strange lock panels.  Is that the way the originals are?
In His grip,

Dane

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
I kind of like  this gun.  Bob

Offline SR James

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »
Curtis and Smallpatch:
The original rifle mine is based on is in the Boulton Gun Works Museum in Penn.  I originally thought it was a J. Henry rifle as it is so attributed in some publications and the lock is stamped J. Henry.  Back in 2009 I posted on this forum looking for a source of J. Henry parts -   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.phptopic=7593.msg71804#msg71804  - and found out it was actually a North Carolina contract rifle.  As you can see from the pics, the patchbox and long, tapered lock panels are found on the original.  I did make the patchbox but obviously did not design it.  It would make a dandy hunting rifle with it's .54 bore and light weight and that was my intention when I accumulated the parts for it back in 2009.  However, other rifle projects seemed to keep cutting in line ahead of it.  Now I have lost access to my favorite hunting area and back problems make dragging a deer very far problematic.  So it will just be a shooter.
I have another photo of the original from Wilson's Peacemakers.  I will post it if I can find it.  Others on this forum know far more about the original rifle than I so hopefully they will chime in with information.

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
Track of the wolf had ,for a short period, these most interesting trigger guards .
Did you fashion yours or were you lucky enough to get one of the commercially made ones ?

This is a very  attractive rifle . I love the odd rifles and not- the- usual- build

Modified ...Yes I see you did get one of the commercially made trigger guards...Reading is still fundamental ,eh?   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:07:34 PM by stuart cee dub »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
This rifle patch box looks a lot like the one pictured on the Henry rifles shipped to Ft. Union. They were ordered steel mounted with best quality locks,etc. IIRC.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
The lock panels problem isn’t that it is too long. It about the same length as the original pictured. But it is much wider, which makes it stop your eye, from flowing smoothly from butt, to muzzle. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 07:39:53 AM »
Thanks for the info, SRJames.  Most interesting!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »
Interesting piece.  I like that.

Cory Joe Stewart