Author Topic: CO2 Dis-charger?  (Read 4341 times)

Longwalker

CO2 Dis-charger?
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Who here uses a CO2 Dis-charger to unload their flint rifles?

I have one that supposedly will accommodate the touch hole in a flint set up, but I find I can't make a good enough (or tight enough)
connection to get good results, most times the ball just goes halfway up barrel and has to be pushed back and launched again. Sometimes
 even that fails and I use up a CO@ cartridge (usually the only I have with me),  LOL !!

Any of you guys/gals who use this device and have any recommendations I would appreciate the tips.

Harry

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: CO2 Dis-charger?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
I have an older one which has a brass tube about 2"long of a larger diameter than the touch hole then it "necks down" to a smaller diameter with a tapered shoulder that seals up against the touch hole. I have to FIRMLY press the CO2 discharger into the touch hole then discharge the CO2 gas. Most of the time (99%) the ball is expelled. The CO2 cylinder has to be new to be effective and I carry two more as back-ups. I don't load tight so I can either pull my ball with a ball pulling screw or use the CO2 discharger with no problems. 
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »
Bore size and length will make a difference. Bigger bores and longer barrels have more cubic inches to take up your co2 so you might not have enough if you have a big /long gun. I rigged up a co2 gizzmo for use at home using my air compressor. It works good when I don't want to shoot my shot off at the end of the day but want to clean my gun for a fresh load or storage.

Longwalker

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
Smylee,
I am trying to use it on a 50cal, with a 42" barrel, just a snug patched ball, not super tight or anything.
What so you guys think? PW, What type/brand of Dis-Charger do you use?

Harry

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:50 PM »
Harry, mine says Genuine Innovations on it and has an adapter for flintlocks that sounds similar to what Paul described.  A very small tube about 1/2 inch long that goes into the flash hole and then a larger diameter tube that butts up to it to seal it.  Works great.  I have never had a problem getting any of my guns unloaded with it.   I think I got it at Cabelas but I searched there just now and apparently they don't sell them anymore. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:35:10 AM »
The big trick IMO is keeping the end sealed on the vent until the projectile is discharged. Kinda tricky to do.... obviously needs the seal for the air pressure to force it out.

Careful....the load can come out with some force...I "shot" my wooden fence with a shot load one day and was surprised by the force. Really didn't expect it to make it to the fence let alone ricochet back at me..

Black Hand

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
Who here uses a CO2 Dis-charger to unload their flint rifles?

I have one that supposedly will accommodate the touch hole in a flint set up, but I find I can't make a good enough (or tight enough)
connection to get good results, most times the ball just goes halfway up barrel and has to be pushed back and launched again. Sometimes
 even that fails and I use up a CO@ cartridge (usually the only I have with me),  LOL !!

Any of you guys/gals who use this device and have any recommendations I would appreciate the tips.

Harry
I use a ball-screw to pull the charge. The ball gets re-cast, the powder goes back in the horn and the patch back into the tin. No gadget needed...

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
I use a ball discharger to unload the barrel at the end of  each day.  Flintlock .54 cal tight patch lubed with SPG when hunting, 38" barrel.  Get two discharges from standard CO2 cartridge.  The adaptor is a football inflator with the tip turned down to fit the slightly coned exterior of the touch hole.  I thoroughly dislike working on the muzzle end of a loaded or  potentially loaded rifle so I carry extra cylinders on all outings.  I have used it more on the rifles of other shooters than my own I think. 

Longwalker

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I will try to find an adapter or re-work a football inflator as Jerry suggested. BTW Jerry What type of patch lube is SPG?
Harry

mmprwarner

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
In my experience blowing out all calibers Chuck guns, some of them having 50+ inch barrels. A lot of times we have to blow the ball partway down the barrel and shove it back. I've also found it very useful poor some oil or solvent down before you even start, to try to soften a patch. In playing around with trying to come up with the ultimate blowout tool and maybe hopefully before I die I will. I have found that a Lincoln grease can tip will both fit in the vent hole of a flintlock and tapered out large enough to blowout the nipple on a cap Locke. I want to say it was a Lincoln model 5803 that worked real well you will have to go to the plumbing store to buy the adapter to go from your blowout tool head to this adapter. If you follow the link below you can see something what it looks like

https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/Z1t42xpcpEx_.JPG

I got frustrated enough with having to change little bottles I actually adapted some of the blowout tool heads to fit a 24 ounce paint gun CO2 bottle seems to work pretty good for what I do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:41:45 PM by mmprwarner »

Ludo Van den Bussche

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »
First I spray a good amount of WD40 into the barrel to soften up any fouling.
I then put the muzzle of the CO2 discharger firmly into the touch hole, and make it a bit more air tight with some deerskin that I clamp around the little CO2 muzzle with my fingers. Then I blow out the charge... Sometimes the ball will get stuck halfway the barrel. Do not push it down again! You only have to push it down again if you want to SHOOT it  out with BP... I leave the ball halfway in and simply recharge the CO2 discharger with a new cartridge and blow the ball out this second time... I also found out lately that motorbike riders use these CO2 dischargers to fill up their tires. These cartridges are charged with 16 grams of gas in lieu of the older 12 gram cartridges... that little bit more of a

Ludo Van den Bussche

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
sorry ... touched the wrong button! ...
to resume: that little bit more "oumpf" is usually enought to do the job....
Normally you can unload any BP gun with those dischargers but it may take two cartridges in stead of two... I keep some 5 or 6 cartridges in my shooting box ... you know "be prepared"!  ::)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Smylee,
I am trying to use it on a 50cal, with a 42" barrel, just a snug patched ball, not super tight or anything.
What so you guys think? PW, What type/brand of Dis-Charger do you use?

Harry
I don't know the name of it but I purchased it from Cabela's around 1980 or so. It has a "trigger" under the nozzle head and takes a Crossman CO2 cartridge. It came with an assortment of attachments for caplock & flintlock guns.   
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Harry, mine says Genuine Innovations on it and has an adapter for flintlocks that sounds similar to what Paul described.  A very small tube about 1/2 inch long that goes into the flash hole and then a larger diameter tube that butts up to it to seal it.  Works great.  I have never had a problem getting any of my guns unloaded with it.   I think I got it at Cabelas but I searched there just now and apparently they don't sell them anymore. 

Dave
YUP -- that's where I got mine from about 1980 and they don't have them for sale anymore. I tried to buy one for my son and could not find one. Try looking at the bicycle shops on line - I seen one something like it that the cyclist uses to refill flat tires after they repair them. You will need to either make of find the adapters to fit the nipples or flash hole. :(