Author Topic: Soft Sheet Brass - Where?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline 120RIR

Soft Sheet Brass - Where?
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:36:00 AM »
I've been engraving and silversmithing for the Rev War reenacting set for 30+ years - making silver belt plates, gorgets, etc. and enlisted brass belt plates.  I've been using common commercially available sheet brass which is of course hard has $#*! being copper and nickel.  I'd like to step up the authenticity of my enlisted plates to a new level.  Does anyhow know where I can get soft sheet brass in the correct early alloy (copper, tin, and maybe a touch of lead)?  Approximately 16 gauge would be perfect.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:08:11 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline StevenV

Re: Soft Sheet Brass - Where?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
Try MSC I use their sheet brass Alloy 260 for pipes and patch boxes, no problems engraving.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
I take it you are annealing it, I use 260 like Steven says, it is very soft and engraves and shapes very easily. Copper and tin make bronze, not brass. Brass is copper and zinc, it has been made that way since ancient times.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
If I remember correctly, 260 is cartridge brass and jeweler's brass is also known as "red brass."  I would definitely go with the 260 alloy.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »
The 260 that I have had did't have the same color as the 360. To me the 360 has a better color.  More yellow.
Could have been just the piece I got. I filed a guard from 260 and it didn't come close in color to the sheet brass....LP

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
I've been engraving and silversmithing for the Rev War reenacting set for 30+ years - making silver belt plates, gorgets, etc. and enlisted brass belt plates.  I've been using common commercially available sheet brass which is of course hard has $#*! being copper and nickel.  I'd like to step up the authenticity of my enlisted plates to a new level.  Does anyhow know where I can get soft sheet brass in the correct early alloy (copper, tin, and maybe a touch of lead)?  Approximately 16 gauge would be perfect.
  Copper and tin is bronze not brass. Brass is copper and zinc. What you want is 360 alloy yellow brass. 260 alloy is also a very good choice which is cartridge brass.   https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1776&step=2
   You can buy 260 from MSC.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:34:26 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.