Author Topic: Mystery gun Rifle / smooth-bore ?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Molly

Mystery gun Rifle / smooth-bore ?
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
Maker??  This thing is in pretty poor condition with an old repair to the upper left and lower right side of the wrist.  A metal screw has been put in place from the lock plate to the opposite side with the screw head behind the lower portion of the hammer.  It also appears to have had a nose cap at one time and probably has had the barrel shortened.  The barrel is only about 35 to 37 inches long and it appears to be a smooth bore.  Interesting that is has nicely done checkering on the wrist and the entry pipe is also like none I recall seeing.  The seller has it identified as a "possibly made by" XXX (I would like opinions without that bias but will post what he said later). 

Sorry for the poor pics.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:42:43 PM by Molly »

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Mystery gun Rifle / smooth-bore ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
I've definitely seen that entry thimble before but can't place. Will look at some of mine when I get home. It also definitely has had a nose job.
Mark
Mark

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »
Let's think in terms of Virginia, southern part of "the Valley".

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:39:59 AM »
Is this the rifle you bought at the Front Royal show?
 A photo showing the entire rifle,one of the buttstock through lock panel and lock through muzzle would be helpful
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:43:27 AM by Don Stith »

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:58 AM »
Hi Don:

No it is not.  That one is a Jon (John) Wilson from the Craigs Creek area and it is a much nicer rifle.  It is not signed but I have total confidence in the sellers assessment and it has some strong credentials via Mr. W.G.  Were you at Front Royal?  I need to meet you sometime.  Rumor has it that you also have a few "nice old guns".  BTW, you missed our club meeting tonight!

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:49 PM »
OK, so no brave souls offering an opinion.  The seller has tagged it a "possible" Beeton from Rockbridge County. 

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
Details on the rifle suggest it might be a New York gun. The wrist checkering and single trigger look NY'ish. The slightly different  cheekpiece and guard could also be NY. I can't tell for sure, but the trigger almost looks like brass in one of the photos, which, if it were, would be a strong indicator of a New York rifle.  Shelby Gallien