Author Topic: Found 97 years ago  (Read 3719 times)

RL

Found 97 years ago
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
This was found in the Wateree swamp around 1920.  Against a tree close to the confederate railroad and the site of Potters raid, 1865. A fellow who's great uncle found it owed me $75 and gave it to me. It's missing the trigger plate, ramrod and nosecap if there was one. Looks like someone tried to repair. 36 inch thin smoothbore barrel, 52" OAL. The lock works and is smooth. I'm a Hawken man so is this a musket or shotgun?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Found 97 years ago
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
Appears to be a restocked british musket. Was it found in North Carolina perhaps?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Check out the nails mounting the frizzen and spring. Cool old gun!!   Nate

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
These repairs look like really back woodsy work, or Native American field repairs.

Hungry Horse

Black Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »
Could it have been a percussion lock originally? The pan is brass and looks to be added, while the pattern on the heads suggests they could be framing nails.

RL

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
It was found in South Carolina. The other side of the lock.
 Rick

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »
How long is the lock?  A musket lock would be close to 7 inches, a pistol lock shorter.
Standard markngs for a British service lock - but the brass pan has nothing whatsoever to do with the British.
Probably a made up gun using whatever parts were available. 
The pattern on the heads of the nails used as pivots is interesting.  When was this first used on nails?

lostinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
Post Civil War hunting gun made from old musket parts?

RL

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »
The lock is 6.250 long. I was thinking since it was found at the spot the militia turned the union army with shotguns and muskets it was used then. But kind of of hard to believe walnut would last 55 years in the weather. Who knows, could of been a hunter run out by hogs. I've been in there many times, always heavily armed for hogs. Been charged by hogs twice.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:25 AM »
No way it was leaning against a tree since the Civil War. The wood would not look like that in your climate after that amount of time. I would guess that it got mislaid by a kid playing with it shortly before it was found. I say kid playing with it because the top jaw is missing so it was not functional. Though the top jaw could have been lost later I suppose.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

RL

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Yes sir, I believe you are probably correct.