Author Topic: Small powder horn.  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Small powder horn.
« on: November 07, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »
Another from ages ago. Made to go with my matchlock....

The flat horn is an antique for a wheel-lock, but some clown had scabbed his initials on it and split the base nailing it up with carpet tacks. Was in repair mode when I took these photos.

Richard.

Offline msellers

Re: Small powder horn.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
Very nice horns, would be a fun project to make a wheelock to go with that original horn.

cmakamson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »
That turned out quite nice.  I like the burlap as a background.  It works well with the horns but does not visually compete with them.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 03:52:55 AM »
Very nicely done. The metal work on the powder flask looks real good and the engraving has a perfect period look to my eyes. Are the ends plugged or just engraved?

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:21:59 AM »
Evening Ron,

the ends are plugged first then engraved. Had the ends open to make max room for powder.
Sitting here writing this I'm a bit distracted, as I hid  an old favourite pistol away when we were going away for a few days, and it must be safe 'cos I can't find it!

Such is life. Can't fine me dogs tablets either!

Pleased you all like it anyway.  :-)

Richard.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:32:13 AM »
Richard, I have to laugh because I do that a lot. Got up this morning left for work and found out I had left my phone at home, had my earpiece but no phone. Now that might not sound to bad but I am a truck driver and without a phone my boss can't get ahold of me. Doesn't bothe r me but he has a complete different attitude about it. Then, on top of that, I realized that I had taken none of my medication. Got back this afternoon, backed into the dock, unhooked the truck and as I was getting in to take it and park it I realized I had not only put it in the wrong dock but also on the wrong side of the bldg. My wife doesn't understand why I leave everything on the table in my shop but when I do I lose it😳😱
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »
Did the same with my medication this morning Ron.
Found the dogs and got it down it, and forgot me own!  LOL.
Found the pistol as well.  Thank goodness.   :)

I think I need everything tied to me at times, like kids mitts....

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:39:56 AM »
Very cool.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
Very nice horns, would be a fun project to make a wheelock to go with that original horn.

MSellers,
Been fiddling in my mind on a wheel-lock with no chain. I Think it can be done....  Time'll tell!

R.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
Very nice horns; I like them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
I love the delightful engraved/scrimshawed scene.  It is very believable.  Looks 18th Century to me.  I hope to attain that ability one of these days.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
Marc,
When I did that little horn, I planned on a deer on the other side, with the hound chasing it  'round and around.
Maybe when you do Your horn,  you could do a similar scene but use that boar image.   :-)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
Pukka, I made one of those for a Jaeger I'm planning for this winters project. I like the bone stem and plug and kind of wish I had gone that way. Very nice, thanks for showing it.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
Great idea Richard.  Tim and I are plotting some scrim engraving on a horn or two, so that may just be the idea.  Perfect timing with your welcome suggestion. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
That's a lovely bit of antler to be working on Robbie! Perfect I'd say!!  Good job!

Marc,

With me, getting to draw the animals in a  16th /17th  or 18th C manner was the hardest part.  More like cartoon characters really,  but So full of life and energy!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
I agree on the drawings, to me they look somewhere between a 1930-40's Disney animation, an Albrecht Deer etching, with a touch of cave drawings. For mine it started out in the vein, but I kept scratching and lost it. I will probably scrape it off and try for a better look after The engraving is done on the gun.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
Robby,

Don't scratch that one off, it's a very good depiction!
If you want to try earlier style, do another, then you have your comparison. 

Best,
Richard.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »
Pukka,
Sometimes I hit it right and sometimes I go too far and loose that quirky look that they used back then, its amazing how a few scratches here and there can completely change the character of the image . We shall se, when the gun gets to the engraving the flask must match up.
Robby
molon labe

ddoyle

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »
"Been fiddling in my mind on a wheel-lock with no chain. I Think it can be done....  Time'll tell!"

Pukka,

There is a lte 17th century spanish lock illustrated in a Royal Ontario Museum publication at a library here, It uses a single external spring to provide power to both the wheel and cock (and maybe the sear). It also uses (if I am remembering correct and if I originally interpreted correctly)  a push rod instead of a chain.

The same lock is also attributed to the tower collection and appears in some other (forgotten) book as a Portuguese lock form the 16th century.

It appeared to my eye as the hieght of smarts and I suspect the later date is correct as that would explain why the design did not see much use or further development. Or It could have been a bad idea that never got further then an apprentices poorly thought out project ?

Judging from your work my guess is you could pound/file one out over a weekend using old CASE tractor fenders.

On my to do list is to go and scan that illustration for my own use. If you think you might be interested let me know and I'll email a copy.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »
DDoyle,

I would very much like to see that lock!
Now, you say Royal Ontario Museum And the Tower collection?

This has me wondering if it is one of the locks that is missing from the Henry V111 arms illustrated in the "Who copied whom" thread in Over the back fence (or whatever they call it!)?  Both of Henry V111's guns are now fitted with rather poor matchlocks but both were originally wheel-locks.

Portuguese is close, But Italian for sure for the barrels.

It may save me quite a bit of mileage if you could find those photos!  Thank you for mentioning it!

Case fenders?  Nooo, sold them!  Maybe binder parts or cart hoops though!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:21:16 PM by Pukka Bundook »

ddoyle

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »

I will get over there this week and get a scan of it. Good excuse for me to stop procrastinating and get it off the to do list. 

Offline msellers

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »

I will get over there this week and get a scan of it. Good excuse for me to stop procrastinating and get it off the to do list. 

DDoyle,

I would be interested in seeing pics of that lock as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 11:55:51 PM »
Very Nice! Especially like the darker one!

~Tony

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
very nice horns. I spend half my time hiding my stuff and the other half hunting for it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
David,

Your post above is a great comfort.   I do exactly the same!  Nice to know I'm not on my own.   :)