Author Topic: HACKER MARTIN / LESTER SMITH PISTOL  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

HACKER MARTIN / LESTER SMITH PISTOL
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
 8) 8) 8)  Here is a pistol that has been attributed to the upper East Tennessee gun builders Hacker Martin and Lester Smith of Gray Station Tennessee ... is silver mounted (coin,sterling ??), maple wood, .45 cal., 13/16, 10" bbl ...... is not signed, but two well known makers and friends of Hacker's say is his work ....Thought you'ns might enjoy seeing it ... !!! .... comments welcomed,... Regards,... C. C. Fiddler ...

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: HACKER MARTIN / LESTER SMITH PISTOL
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
Lester Smith could do a little inletting...

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
Looks Like a HM to me, better than most. I thoroughly enjoy the backwards front site. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 03:40:57 AM »
Well it fits better that way Mike! ;)

Treebeard

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:13 AM »
I recently put my front sight on that way. So now when someone says it’s backwards I’ll just say I was copying Hacker Martin.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D.... Thanx, Shreck for these photos .....SHOW MORE...!!! (HaHa) ... nice rifle ... Some folk bash Hacker's work, and true, I have seen some of the stuff he did in his old age, and considering his age & his shop (I've been in it) wonder it looked that good ... !!! ... this pistol is an example of his earlier work, prior to the passing of Lester who was a master engraver .... One well known builder who was a friend of Hacker's told me that he didn't sign the guns that he made for Turner Kirkland to sell through Dixie Gun Works back in the 1950's ... anyway, it's quite well made ....

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »
Hey Mike,

That is a VERY early Baughman Ramp front sight......like 100 years early.   ;-) 

Heh, heh.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:32:49 PM »
Looks Like a HM to me, better than most. I thoroughly enjoy the backwards front site. ;)

Certainly better than the ONLY HM pistol I've ever seen which was not
even usable due to a worse than awful lock.

Bob Roller