Author Topic: Jerry Kirklin rifle on the blog.  (Read 7247 times)

Offline EC121

Jerry Kirklin rifle on the blog.
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »
 I added  pictures of a nice Jerry Kirklin rifle to the blog.  My blog not Art Riser's.  It is a version of rifles built by Christian Oerter.  Photo credit goes to Tim Cosby. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
Brice Stultz

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Jerry Kirklin rifle on the blog.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D...Really nice rifle ... don't think I have seen his work before, but he is a master ... !!!! .... BTW, thanx for link to your blog .... Checked out your archives while looking and found a very nice lefty by our own Nate Stephenson ..... you got some nice, interesting posts there ......Regards,.... C.C. Fiddler  .... 8) 8) 8)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »
I always admired Jerry Kirkland’s Work since the 1980s.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:32:29 PM »
I always admired Jerry Kirkland’s Work since the 1980s.
I had one of his catalogs back in the early 80's. I admired his guns AND his prices.  ;) Of course I was only making about $4.50/hr back then.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
Kirklin also developed the K1 Thru K5 buttplates and triggerguards that are still being used today. He made some really nice guns. I saw a wender on his table at Friendship in the 80's that I dream about owning today. However, that was back in the time when we slept in the car because we only had enough money to get to Friendship and back. Tim

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:43:08 AM »
When I first started going to Friendship Jerry and Mark Silver shared a booth in commercial row.  I agree with the above, Jerry made some really fine rifles.  Actually, I have one of his rifles for sale from the Bob Roughton collection.  I anyone is interested in making a purchase I'll  be glad to email photos, prices, etc.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
A true artist. I have a bench copy of a famous Tennessee Rifle he made. It is perfect in every way.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
I have two Tennessee rifles made by Jerry Kirklin - one in maple and one in Ash.
Mark Thomas

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)... Post some pix of those Tennessee rifles, boys .... never can see too many of 'em ...... !!!

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »

image hosting websites free

You may have seen this one before.  Curly maple stock. 49" barrel in .50 caliber.
Mark Thomas

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
That's a nice one, probably 100% better than the old ones!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »

ebay image hosting free

Here is the other one.  I know it is a .50 caliber, but I don't remember the other specs.
Mark Thomas

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »
 :o :o :o.... Wow ....... Thanx,  Mark   ......First rifle is spittin' image of the famous Jacob Gross rifle .... !!! ..... beautiful.... (if she ever wants to leave home let me know) ... !!! .... The single trigger has an ash stock..??? .... beautiful gun as well .... I must check into Jerry's work ...... great stuff, there .... thanx for pix .... Regards, ... C.C. Fiddler  ...... 8) 8) 8)

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
The first rifle was built in 1978. It has a crack in the wrist that was professionally repaired by Mike Miller. Both are super nice guns and good examples of Jerry Kirklin’s work.
Mark Thomas

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:20:03 AM »
Here are a few photos of my Jerry Kirkland bench copy of a Jacob Gross rifle.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Kirklin Jacob Gross rifle. I always enjoy seeing his work. He had the ability to do great work in many different schools and levels of decoration. Tim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
This is the first mention of Jerry Kirklin I have seen on this forum.
I've made a few locks for him over the years including two "Four
Pin"Stanton style for English style rifles.
Is he still active? If he is,maybe we can get him to join the forum.
Even if he's not,he can still join us.

Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
 ;D ;D... Thanx for shareing the pix of your Kirklin bench copy of that Gross rifle ..... I have admired the original for many years, but was un-aware that someone had made a precise copy .... give us some specs ... BBL length & size, Cal., total length, etc .....BTW ... will you have a table at the Alabama show ... ??    .... Regards, C C Fiddler ....

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
I believe Mr. Kirlin passed away a few years ago. I won’t have a table at the Alabama Show, but will try to attend. May bring a rifle or two to sell. I have two rifles that were made in Huntsville that I want to “recycle”!

Offline Dan Kiel

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »
Jerry Kirklin has been a friend for about 30 years.  While he no longer builds guns, he is still very much alive.  I spoke with him a few  weeks ago about a Simon Lauck copy, he originally made for Tom Wilson, that is in the Bob Roughton collection.   Jerry moved from Michigan back to Indiana where he grew up.               

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:19 AM »

Dan,
That Kirklin rifle is sitting in my vault right now looking for a new home.  Like all of Jerry's work it is really fine, indeed.
Glad to hear he is still among the living.
Jim

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »
I am too! I was told otherwise- what a pleasant surprise!

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
Really like this rifle and the Baker as well . Really not sure which one I like the best .

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »
So glad to hear Jerry is still above ground. He had been a stylist/artist, whatever, for Chrysler. He was laid off, early '70's I think. I saw his first couple of rifles. Precise workmanship. After he'd been making rifles for a few years his old boss called and offered him his job back. When Jerry told me this I think I saw a couple small canary feathers in the corner of his mouth . . .

Never had one of his rifles but he did some fantastic restoration. Some years ago i ought a Model 1805, dated 1807, Harpers Ferry pistol in a shoe box. In pieces. Missing trigger guard, trigger & rigger plate, about half the forend, the entry thimble and cock. Wife did not speak well of it. Well, at least it was original flintlock & Jerry used it as a model to restore a couple of Harpers Ferry pistols in the Dee-troit area. Finally I got a couple $ together and asked if he would restore it for me. Guess he called in his Chits and got a couple of solid originals from which to pattern what was missing on mine. Sawed the trigger guard out of solid brass plate. I had found a slightly broken original entry thimble, and  good casting off an original cock.

So here is my well-restored - but original flint - pistol. Still thank you, Jerry