Author Topic: Spirals On Horns  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Curtis Makamson

Spirals On Horns
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »
In spite of the questionable brass parts, these three priming horns are actually an experiment in spiral curvature.  It is not so much a question of right or wrong as it is one of preferences.  The spirals go ¼ of the way around the circumference on the horn on the left side of the photos.  The spiral section curves half way around the horn’s circumference on the middle horn.  The spirals completely circle around the whole circumference of the horn on the right side of the photos.

Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Spirals On Horns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
I like the one on the right best, Curtis.
If the brass is bulled up and left to darken and the wood a bit darker, I'd say brilliant little horn!  :-)

Richard.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
All three are beautiful but the one on the left is my pick.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »
I also prefer the one on the right.  I think with a darker wood and patina on the brass would be better.  For some reason the current wood seems out of sync with the rest of the horn. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
The Three Bears.  I like the middle one!   :-) 

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 04:34:54 AM »
I too like the middle one.  To my uneducated eyes, the one on the left looks unfinished, while the one on the right looks too fancy.  But this is all just my opinion.  They are all good looking horns.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:38:19 AM »
Personally, I like the middle one. I have been having this argument with myself for quite sometime and came to the conclusion that halfway or there about looks the best.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA