Author Topic: A N Jackson rifle  (Read 2278 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
A N Jackson rifle
« on: November 10, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
This long rifle, signed "A N Jackson" on the top of the barrel, was pictured in the 1976 KRA book "Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850", where it was simply identified as "Southern".  I have been unable to find a gunsmith named "A N Jackson" in any of the references available to me.  But, I thought I would share some pictures here and see if anyone has suggestions as to regional characteristics, etc.
57 1/4" overall
4 1  1/2"  .45 caliber barrel
1 1/2" thick buttplate
incised carved

All pictures are by Mark Elliott

Wayne Elliott

Offline Bill Paton

Re: A N Jackson rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
There are two A N Jacksons in this site. Mine, in the library, has raised carving with motifs suggestive of yours. A good shot of the signature shows on my Jackson. Nord says he was in West Virginia, probably from PA, and the box on his is very much different than ours, which have similar side plate outlines. I just searched for “Jackson” on the site here. Yours makes the 3rd A N Jackson I know of.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »
Thank you, Bill.  That's a nice rifle you have.   Nord, when you see this -- do you recall the source of the statement that A N Jackson worked in Tyler Col, (W) VA? 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:02 AM »
A WV rifle collector who has been collecting 40+ years , researcher & lifelong resident of Tyler County WV, says he has never heard of a A N Jackson gunsmith from Tyler County.  In our opinion there is no way rifles made by this man & signed would of been made in Tyler County without someone up there knowing something about him. I would look elsewhere for this maker.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0xy3AkWThdKU_vLYWHvxVTpN0PsduxMPtKdpHBGiHo/edit#gid=0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:59:09 AM by Avlrc »