Author Topic: Source for .280 Round Ball?  (Read 7631 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Source for .280 Round Ball?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »
That was in case you said I wasn't strong enough to load what you push down with two fingers. You're funny too with a comment like that.

Does anybody load with two fingers? Can your wife do it too? Can anybody do it with a ball/patch combo .018 over bore size?

Ok, i'm done with this. I gave my opinion.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
  Go ahead and keep shoving them ...
I don't know why you push how you load so much? We know how to load. Most of us have been doing it for decades...

I'm rather happy that D pushes his loading technique.  I've learned to load that way and MUCH prefer it to the constant battle with crud and blown patching that MOST noobs and neophytes and many old-timers think must be endured.  It's sad that the loose/thin/wipe wipe wipe is apparently TAUGHT much more widely than Mr. Sapergia's way. 

I had no parent/uncle/grandpa/neighbor to learn this stuff from.  I learned it from books/magazines and doing (there was no internet of course). I learnt wrong the loading at the muzzle. Pretty sure I threw Fadala's book in the woodstove once I started learning real shooting.  ;)  I learned hunting and fishing and shooting and all pretty much the same way.  It was slow and laborious and frustrating, but then most stuff worth doing can be that way at times. And I'm pretty good at it.  ::)

I do quite realize that when I go shoot a chunk match, I'll have to wipe my bore because the long time between loadings; but in the field or on a trail I'm sticking with the thickwet patch "tight combo" and no wiping regime.

We here are of varying levels of knowledge and experience and it should behoove us to pass on the best practices as we know them down to those who haven't learned (or tried) them yet.  They don't have to follow, but let them try the most viable options and settle on their own.

Let us not get all cabin-feverish this early in the Winter. :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
Wade....... I have no problem with Daryl talking about his method of loading. It only needs to be done once. Don't keep pounding away at it and saying it's the only way.

We get it. Now let it go.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »
Daryl............I feel bad I gave you a hard time. I know you're trying to help. I was in a lousy mood and took it out on you.

Sorry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 03:20:03 AM »
That's OK, OMM - I have VERY wide shoulders & a good (reasonably good for it's age, that is) foundation beneath.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V