Author Topic: Your opinion  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Your opinion
« on: December 26, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
So would a .470 smoothbore be too small to be practical for shot? I ask because I'm thinking about having a custom barrel made to match an original. The original WAS loaded with shot- maybe 10 pellets of #6 or so.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Your opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »
Back when many of the components used to build inexpensive trade guns came from Dixie’s famous surplus parts department, Turner sold old surplus barrels in that bore size. There were a couple of young ladies, that shot at some of the events I attended, that could really give you a run for your money, with these little smoothbores. The guns weighed about 3&1/2 lbs.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:10:46 PM »
So would a .470 smoothbore be too small to be practical for shot? I ask because I'm thinking about having a custom barrel made to match an original. The original WAS loaded with shot- maybe 10 pellets of #6 or so.
Those small bores tend to shoot really tight patterns, hard to hit flying targets but good for squirrels and stuff.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »
Well, it’s a larger bore than a .410.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »
I think Dixie used to call them garden gun barrels. They work pretty well for small varmints in the garden. Being in town presents a problem if you need to shoot a skunk, opossum, or raccoon out of you tomatoes. But these little rascals loaded light, with flint ignition don’t even sound like a gunshot. Works for me, I have one made out of an old .410 barrel.

Hungry Horse

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
  Mike all depends on how well you can shoot. My son shoots skeet with a 20 gauge with a turkey choke...It's being young an with good eye's an quick reflexes.....

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
I believe that there were a fair number of smoothbores in the .50 range , so you're not far off.  I once owned a .54 smoothbore and it was one of the best patterning guns I ever had. It worked beautifully on partridge, being light and quick .   

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
I once made a copy of a Christian Beck double. The right barrel was .36 with a rifled bore, the left barrel was .45 smooth bore as per the original. So they did make them back in the day. Would be perfect for squirrel etc although a bit heavier to carry than I prefer.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »

I guess you missed it, another thread,  where I noted having a .440 smoothbore. I used a hard 1/10" to 1/8" card (old monopoly board) on the powder, 40 or 45gr. 3F, I think it was, with a .410 wad filled with 1/2 oz. of 7 1/2's to 8 1/2's, then thin overshot card. This barrel, 36" long, had about .005" jug choke lapped in, some 1 1/2" long.  I broke 10 straight from 16 yards with it at a rendezvous trap shoot. It also was great on bunny heads to 50yards with patched round ball and 45gr. 3F.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
OK....Im getting fired up about this.
Here's what the load looked like in the old gun.

"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »
Apparently, somebody seems to think these small smooth-bores are a good idea:  enough to warrant Colerain's attentions anyway.

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=8312581.41708&p_id=BLSW45B44S&xm=on

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »
OK....Im getting fired up about this.
Here's what the load looked like in the old gun.

We would like to see more pictures of this Virginia Fowler. thanks,

Offline homerifle

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 05:07:35 AM »

[/quote]
We would like to see more pictures of this Virginia Fowler. thanks,

[/quote]Yes, more pictures would be nice! The wire work on the wrist looks interesting! Thanks!

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 05:24:42 AM »
I have a .45 caliber smooth bore mini trade gun I built as our family's youth gun. Useing cork wads that I got off a trade blanket. And #5 shot. It kills squirrels just like a modern .410. In flint of course! BJH
BJH