Author Topic: A Bit different!  (Read 14349 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: A Bit different!
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 07:27:58 AM »
 Mike B,

You asked for a picture of the Lock work (Such as it is!), and the mortise. 
Here you go.
As you can see, I used old scrap.   It's iron, so the lateral scear slides very smoothly even if rough looking.

You can see homemade screw on a couple of pictures.

Best,
Richard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:14:13 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
Well, that's pretty dad gum cool! I have built a dog lock years ago with a horizontal sear, they wok better than you would think.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
Mike,

If you have photos of the doglock,  I'd like to see 'em sometime!

I really fancy making this one;

Looks like an easy lock to make!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:14:50 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
I didn't make the lock, just assembled the gun. Making locks is way above my pay grade.... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ddoyle

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 04:56:34 AM »
Any chance the stock wood is arbutus? Your description of  it's working qualities matches my experience making stuff with it before it became illegal to cut. (thanks vancouver winter olympics- nice legacy)

I keep an eye on the floatsom and slash piles looking for a piece big enough for gun work. Any Spanish Armourer or English blacksmith slave in the employ of locals here would have had a hard time finding anything better. I think a restocked russian trade musket with arbutus wood would be the hieght of cool.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:57:41 AM by ddoyle »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »
DD,

I looked up arbutus/madrone and it may well be.
I didn't look up its weight, but this is equal to maple (at least) I'd say. awful heavy.

The wood I used showed no burl, but have off-cuts from other projects that look exactly like the wood pictured below, particularly in grain pattern.  Wood seems to go from a yellow-ish to a pink to a brown. Old wood that has oxidised is quite brown.  It is also rife with cracks...Knarly old stuff. See block on page 1.

I  have photos of another gun stocked in this wood, but it is not of the correct period to show here. I Do have a small pistol flask I made from same wood, please compare it to the madrone sample blocks and tell me what you think.

Sorry the flask is incidental in the photos!

Very kind of you to enlighten me about this wood.
BTW, I Did see some slabs being sold, that would be big enough for any gun-stock.  If interested please let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Thank you again,

Richard.
Edited to add more photos of this same wood;

Does it look like arbutus to you, DD?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:16:37 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
Good Golly, that pistol by Lowe is a real gem!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
MIke,

:-)
Is there a place on this forum to show pistols...it being a long-Rifle forum?
If so I could put up some more photos.

R.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »
Pistol Picture are allowed if they are muzzel loaders. I make mostly pistol and have posted them here. I'd love to see Pictures of Your pistols.

best regards
Rolf

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
That is a magnificent pistol! 
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:41 PM »
Glenfiddich, or other single malt,

Will post for you an Mike soon. Has  provenance as well,    ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 02:47:03 AM »
Dalmore is very nice, quite pleasant indeed.
18 yr. old.

Glenfiddich18 yr. old is very nice as well as an
everyday drink as it is much less expensive.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »
Talisker, Daryl..... :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 05:56:59 AM »
That's only 38 pounds at the Whiskey Exchange!  From a site!

"Balance is what makes Talisker 10 so good. It's smoky, but not like an ashtray. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's peaty, but you can still taste the underlying honey and malt. And the finish (long & peppery, fading into clean pure maltiness) is unique and satisfying. It's both heavy and light at the same time. I love it."

I'll ask the wee lass at the liquor store if she can obtain a bottle for me.

Here it is, $94.99 in BC Liquor stores.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:00:23 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

ddoyle

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:44 AM »

Richard,

I would not bet my (non-existant) reputation on it and I would not even bet on it but I would 'believe' that it could be arbutus in the below picture, I am just not that good at wood id unless it has it's skin on, leaves and a park board sign LOL.

All the pieces I carved were small diameter stuff  that grew straight outa rock so the grouth rings were alot tighter but the color and behavior seem spot. I can believe that on the more southerly gulf island it would grow that fast.  You mentioned cracks/checking. IIRC Taylor built a long bow possibley from arbutus which was rife with short checks and repaired them with thin crazy glue (or what ever wood workers call it). He reported that the checks stayed checked with the glue even after much use.

Thanks for the offer on helping to track down a blank size piece but I have been a bit spendy as of late and not sure my banker will allow any more spec purchases-

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:20:43 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
So, Daryl and D, you are in BC eh?

Why don't you come over for our annual shoot in June?  ( Alberta.)
Rob & Ian drive over from the left coast.
If you PM me, I can give you links to it. 

PS, Daryl,

If anyone would like a  whisky and want to pollute it with other stuff, you don't give them Talisker!   ;)

DDoyle,
Thank you for your thoughts on the wood.  I don't know How wood that has such wide growth rings can be so heavy and solid, but it is.

No sweat on the wood, It may be expensive anyway.  :-)

R.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
TKS for the invite, Richard - there is a definite possibility for that trip. It's in between Steelhead and Salmon.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 12:49:46 AM »
Richard:  where precisely is the shoot?  I'd be interested in attending too?

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »
Richard;

You might be interested to know that Some  of the high end gun manufacturers that list their few wooden stock rifles as stocked in hardwood are using California madrone. They autoclave it, which helps the checking issues, and makes it very free machining. I stocked my first tradegun in madrone, and everybody thought it was cherry. It lends itself to the redder color spectrum, but can be made to look like black walnut as well. Cali’Co hardwoods in Windsor California, used to cut a lot of it. I have a SMR blank bandsawed out of Madrone on the bench that will get the walnut treatment, if I ever get around to finishing it.

Hungry Horse

Offline PPatch

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »
Wow, neat piece.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Thanks for the info on the madrone, H-H.     Whether my wood was madrone I don't know, but it is Heavy. Seems Much denser than cherry.  I like it.

Just made  daughter a peg -loom.  Only oiled, but it looks beautiful grain!  (Natural wavy-sided plank)

PPatch Dave,

Glad you like him!   :-)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
When you work it does it have a strong odor. Madrone doesn’t have a lot of oil in it, hence not much odor. But myrtles odor is very strong, and it is much heavier than Madrone. Both make fine stocks.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
H-H,

I don't know about odour as I lost most of my sense of smell in a sinus op. years back.
I can smell petrol and ether, and sometimes spaghetti sauce!  That's about it. It doesn't smell like any of these is all I can say. :-)
I'll look up myrtle though.
One point  though;
I don't think much wood comes any heavier than this.  Is it possible that this BC grown wood, If madrone, grows slower and  denser than the California variety?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
Madrone is not all that heavy, and rarely has as much figure as the examples you show. This leads me to believe it is myrtle. I’m not sure Madrone is all that common up north. I know it is related to manzanita, and I don’t think manzanita likes the north country.
 I have seen a late percussion target rifle ( from Oregon of course)stocked in myrtle, but don’t recall ever seeing an original muzzleloader stocked in Madrone.
 The plant manager for Cali’Co Hardwoods in Windsor Calif. sawed some longrifle stocks from a giant Myrtle (in Calif. we call it pepperwood) that fell during a storm, some years ago. That tree was a corner marker on a Spanish land grant. He offered to sell me a stock from it for cheap, while it was still on the lowboy, in the yard. But, when they quarter sawed it, it was mostly presentation grade curl. He offered it to me at wholesale price, but it was still too rich for my blood.

Hungry Horse

Offline vanu

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »
Richard,

Were the winning bidder on the original? I saw this on Hermann Historica in November, then your post of the recreation, wonderful!

Bruce