Author Topic: A Bit different!  (Read 14427 times)

Offline vanu

Re: A Bit different!
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 05:39:01 AM »
were you the winning bidder?...sorry the fast fingers missed the edit...

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
Bruce,

Winning bidder? heck no!   
Actually this piece belonged to a good friend in Bavaria.   I had wanted to try something after this style for some time, and sadly, Michael passed away before his time.
His collection it was promised would be kept together, but very sadly   some of it came up for sale as you saw.
 I can not judge the man that Michael left it to, and who promised nothing would go to auction.   It cold have been due to death duties  or other hidden expenses that some of the collection was sold, I don't know.

If I had had the money, it would have been wonderful to acquire the original. 
I am still thinking of cutting the zig-zag patterns into the barrel, but it seems so "wild" even now, that I am still undecided!!

Any thought on this?

Thanks for your comments and best regards,

Richard.

Offline vanu

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Richard,

A great piece, it is unfortunate that the original collection had to be dispersed; but as you said, the details are unknown...

As to your recreation, it is so close to a bench copy it might be nice to add the zigg/zags and the fluting towards the muzzle...a unique piece for sure!!

Best regards,

Bruce

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Richard,
Thanks for a very enjoyable build thread.  I really enjoyed how you copied that ancient matchlock with the snapping lock, very ingenious and effective.  I had visited the Viking Sword site previously looking for info on Spanish miquelets, the site is a wealth of information.  I had never been interested in matchlocks much prior to your post.  Thanks again, Mike

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
Thank you Mike and Bruce.

Mike,
There's just something about a gun that is so primitive. :-)
Makes a flintlock seem like  a Rolls Royce!  Having said that, they fire so awful Fast, that it's hard to put them down....Can't quite define the appeal.

Bruce,
Thanks for your thoughts on the zig-zag pattern.  I wish you hadn't mentioned the fluted muzzle though!   LOL!
I thought about trying it, then got real comfortable Not thinking about it!    ;)

Best regards,
Richard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:24:06 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline vanu

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
Richard,

So are you still experimenting with these archaic arms?!

Bruce

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 05:40:16 AM »
Bruce,

I don't know how you came across this thread again recently, but yes, the interest is still there, and Thank You for asking!
In another thread I Did finish the barrel with the zig-zag pattern and flutes.

Time is always short, but I did get another barrel pretty well made in the winter, V similar to this one, but sans zig-zags etc.
Also a smaller dia. barrel for a lighter version for maybe my daughter.   (To be decorated with mushrooms!) ("Swamples lit", remember)

Also have a few old matchlock barrels to stock up, either Torador/toradar style, or possibly one English and similar to one owned by Henry V111.
Time is the thing..

Thank you for your interest Bruce.

Richard.
PS, here is  a link to the finish'd barrel thread if it escaped you...

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=50712.msg502907#msg502907
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:45:53 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline vanu

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »
Richard,

I have thought about that snap matchlock often and the bench copy you created; one of those things that just sticks in the recesses of the mind i guess! I'd love to see you create a Swedish/Norwegian flint-snaplock (Baltic lock) in your spare time ;-))

Bruce