Author Topic: Another J Gross rifle  (Read 2745 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Another J Gross rifle
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
The recent Tulsa find by our friend, posted below, inspired me to share some photos of a plain, unsigned J Gross rifle to show the range of work Gross did.  This may be by Jonathan, per Dave Byrd.  49 1/2" barrel. 66" overall length.  .45 caliber  Those E. Tennessee boys were big and strong!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:14:45 AM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Another J Gross rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:26:18 AM »
American Loooooongrifle.  I never get to see those up here in PA.  Thanks for posting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:56 AM »
Nice looking rifle and long, I bet she is heavy too. Those long slim looking early guns are deceiving. They usually are pretty heavy and like Wayne imply's it takes a big strong guy to shoot them offhand.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »
 :o :o... Thanx, Wayne ... looking forward to seeing this fine rifle soon ...... Question... might be the angle of photo, but is the grip rail on the trigger-guard "rolled" or "cupped" ..... I have a gun with one that is, and was curious ........

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
Wow, great looking rifle.  That's one mighty cheekpiece too.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »
Wow, great looking rifle.  That's one mighty cheekpiece too.

It is all business.  No excess ornamentation, but what's done is done well.  My favorite type of rifle work.

Re: cheek piece. it appears to have castoff necessary to compensate, or do my eyes fool me?  Off hand or not, these rifles always seem to be built with careful attention to details that matter for regular use.