Author Topic: Review of Jim Kibler kits  (Read 15083 times)

John Ciccone

Review of Jim Kibler kits
« on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
If any of you have built one, can you please give your opinion for a first-time builder.
Thank you. John C.

Offline KC

Re: Review of Jim Kibler kits
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
I've never built one (yet), but I saw one come out of the box at a gun building class and was absolutely blown away by the precision and quality of everything about the kit. Even the packaging to ship the kit in was first rate. I was particularly amazed at the slimness and accuracy of the pre-carved stock. I'm anxious for the new Colonial style kit to come out, that may be my first experience with one of the Kibler kits.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

ranger76

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:32:29 PM »
I have put one of his kits together. There a great kit and if you have any skills or interest, you should have no problems at all.you'll have a rifle to be proud of when you're finished. Lorne

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
I was in the first class that Jim taught at the NMLRA  school at Western Ky. with these rifles, and built my first rifle other than some CVA kits from years ago. The kit is as everyone describes and knowing Jim Kibler I'm sure they have made further improvements since that class 18 months ago. I learned a great deal from this experience and can say that if this is your first kit that you cannot go wrong and will be exceedingly happy with the outcome. The rifle is so well done in kit form that you will have to work hard to mess it up and if you have any questions Jim is readily available to answer them as well as this forum. If you take your time and slowly proceed from one step to another and use some thought in this progression as well as ask questions when in doubt you will be rewarded with a rifle that you will be proud of and will cherish with your family. Good luck and remember to seek advice when in doubt and don't rush through steps. A minimum of tools are needed and readily available usually locally form your hardware stores or online. Again Goodluck!!!!!!
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
I have built 4 - two for friends/customers and one for each son - You will have a blast putting this kit together. It's a great way to start learning on how things fit together, how the systems work, how to finish wood and complete a wonderful rifle. Yes, if you are an experienced you can put it together in a few days, if you are a starter, take your time, ask questions here on the forums, call Jim (He is a Rock Star) and take pictures.

The design and the kit will allow a "fit together model" with little or no shaping needed, it will allow you to look at the relationships of the lock, the trigger, the metal and wood. You can see how slim and trim a good rifle is, and it will be a wonderful model for your next kit or next build. Needless to say I am a great fan. If you want pictures, want to chat more or just ask questions, feel free to IM me and I'm happy to help any way I can.

Jon

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
I've done two. 

I doubt it could be any better.

The only aspect that could cause trouble is the tang.  It is very thin and it fits tight in the wood.  Relieve the fit a little.  I did some careful sanding with the paper backed by a piece of metal to slightly widen the groove. I then warmed the tang to about 500* F  and let it  settle in the inlet.   

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:09 PM »
Yes Scota 4570 the tang was the first place we started in the class and Jim was very careful with his instructions on fitting the tang. We gradually relieved the wood with a small chisel and very gently tapped the tang into place. Extreme care must also be taken when the barrel is removed from the stock each time to avoid bending the tang.
Jerry Dickerson

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »
I bought one just to see what they are like.  First of all, I don't build kits...... that said,....... I put it together from box to ready to sand, ..... in 5 hours.  Liked it so much, I decided to keep it for a while.  Put in a .445 ball, .020 patch, 50g of FFFg,  made one ragged hole at 25 yards.
Now I've built well over 100 guns, and have all necessary tools.  But to me, if a guy wanted to build his own gun, and had a modicum of ability, this is the one to build.

IMHO!
In His grip,

Dane

mustanggt

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
This is the way to go. Before this came out I was working on a chambers york kit and it has been a struggle. When I got this kit I stopped on the chambers and went with this. This is a great place to cut your teeth. I now have more confidence to finish the york rifle.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:15 PM »
Gosh, you all are making me blush ;)   Seriously thanks for the positive feedback.  I can't go into too many details right now, but we have plans to make them even easier to put together. 

It's pretty amazing that with the right tools and enough work, systems can be made to make things easier and easier.  Even with the kits being very good right now, there are areas that are pitfalls for those with little experience.  Our goal is to make their experience as good as possible.

Thanks again everyone.

Jim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
I've done two. 

The only aspect that could cause trouble is the tang.  It is very thin and it fits tight in the wood.  Relieve the fit a little.  I did some careful sanding with the paper backed by a piece of metal to slightly widen the groove. I then warmed the tang to about 500* F  and let it  settle in the inlet.   
I have built two and the tang is something you must be careful with, especially when pulling the barrel out of the stock. Rather than relieve the wood I filed the metal tang and it worked well for me. One thing that also helps is to drill the stock tang screw holes (through the wood) slightly oversize then use an old screw or piece of metal slightly larger than the holes in the tang (where they won't go through the tang). Insert the oversize screw from the underside and gently tap the metal tang out of its mortise, that's about the only way to get the tight tang in and out of the mortise while you are working on getting it to fit the mortise properly.

Dennis
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:51:19 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
Jim is also very gracious about taking calls and answering questions about his kits. And so is Katherine. Both are very helpful.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Are there any written instructions included??
Such as mainly what "NOT TO DO"??

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »
The 'kit' I received came with a sheet that explained the building process...the order of things.  It also had some advice on how to accomplish some things that might (will) give a newbie some trouble, like the tang.  My advice about that is to read it and read it again.  I did not, and so tried to remove the barrel and tang the way I have always done it - lifting up the muzzle out of the wood first.  WRONG!!  I finally figured out that if I set the rifle on its muzzle, the tang lifts itself out of the inlet first, without tearing out wood at the lower lolipop.  Now I'm as smart as I can get!
I've just stained my stock and have three applications of Tung Oil on it, so we'll have images to share soon.  Amazing piece of wood Jim!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mony

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:26:49 PM »
For my first try, it was the only way to go. I was entirely uncertain of my ability to adequately complete even a 90% inletted kit. This kit was 98% inletted. This was the one for a first timer.

What a treat! Just a tiny taste of gun building for sure, but a giant leap of appreciation for those who actually build long rifles. Before this kit, I could not imagine how a guy could build one of these beauties. Now, I can imagine it. Now I get how guys with way more talent and patience than I’ll ever have can actually craft a beautiful and functional rifle from wood and steel.

It certainly whets ones appetite for more. And I think I understood that Mr. Kibler has another rifle coming out soon, so sign me up.

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
I have assembled six of Jim's kits. First thing that I suggest is to file additional draft on all of the tang without removing any additional material from the outside of the tang. Another caution is to make a 1/16" center punch using an 1/16" drift to center punch the under lugs while the barrel is securely clamped in the barrel. Remove the barrel and then drill the holes for the barrel pins. I use a drift to up thru the tang holes to help with the removal of the tang from the stock. This minimizes the chance of oversizing the pin holes in the stock. Read the directions and follow them and you will quickly have assembled the best kit on the market.

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
I've done two. 

I have built two and the tang is something you must be careful with, especially when pulling the barrel out of the stock. Rather than relieve the wood I filed the metal tang and it worked well for me. One thing that also helps is to drill the stock tang screw holes (through the wood) slightly oversize then use an old screw or piece of metal slightly larger than the holes in the tang (where they won't go through the tang). Insert the oversize screw from the underside and gently tap the metal tang out of its mortise, that's about the only way to get the tight tang in and out of the mortise while you are working on getting it to fit the mortise properly.

Dennis

PM SENT

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks folks.  One method I use most often to get the tang out while fitting or otherwise removing the barrel is to hold the gun upside down and squeeze the barrel in the stock while tapping the heel on a bench.  If you squeeze firmly at the breech and tap, the end of the tang will release first.  Then I let up the squeeze nearest the breech and allow the barrel and tang to drop out of the stock.  Really quite simple, but harder to describe.  You can also tap it out from below with a squared end punch.  If it has a sharp corner, you can usually catch the side of the tang.

As an aside, we would like to make some professional videos on assembling these kits and perhaps other aspects of gunsmithing.  We don't intend to sell these, but rather use them as an aid to those who might beneifit from a little help.  We also suspect this will help promote our product and  therefore be a win - win on several levels.  I anticipate we will post these on youtube.  My question is this...  Does anyone know of somebody who could produce these videos?  Somebody who is good and would create a professional product.  We have some cameras here, but I would like to avoid the big learning curve and hire to do this.  Thought it is worth a shot to mention it here.

Anyways, thanks once again.  Oh, the new Colonial kit is coming along well.  All the hardware has been made and the stock programing is probably 90% done. 
We will be opening up pre-orders sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.   It has turned out to be a super nice rifle and is sure to be a hit.  Thanks for all the interest and we're excited to wrap things up with it and start production.

All the best,
Jim

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
My question is this...  Does anyone know of somebody who could produce these videos?

Jim, how about Jim Wright at American Pioneer Videos? If he doesn't do it, I bet he would be a good contact for someone that could.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt