Author Topic: Odd length barrels on old guns  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Odd length barrels on old guns
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:38:16 AM »
I just saw photos of another Mathew Gillespie barrel that measures exactly 45 1/4". That is the length of the one on my MG rifle, and the one Earl Lanning owns which is not signed but does appear to have been cut from the same stock template also measures 45 1/4" in length. Neither of these two barrels appear to have been cut. Earl and I were talking about the odd length and Earl said he bet that was the maximum length that Mathew could get in his rifling bench. I wasn't sure about that but I have run into another signed Mathew Gillespie rifle and it too is 45 1/4" in length!

I am beginning to think Earl was right. I guess we are just used to uniform barrel lengths and assume odd length barrels  have been cut. Any comments?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

oakridge

Re: Odd length barrels on old guns
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:14 AM »
I find it unusual that those gun barrels all measure exactly 45 1/4". Odd lengths are common in old rifles.

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
Maybe that was just his" sweet spot" , . He may have had good results at that lenghth and, just been reluctant to change, if it ain`t broke , don`t fix it. Just a possibility?   Are all of them around the same caliber?    Nate

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
Maybe that was just his" sweet spot" , . He may have had good results at that lenghth and, just been reluctant to change, if it ain`t broke , don`t fix it. Just a possibility?   Are all of them around the same caliber?    Nate

No mine is around 41 cal, Earls is 45 Cal and the last one around 32 cal.
Also Earl's and mine are both swamped but different diameters, the latest appears to be swamped but don't have the measurements.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:32:23 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:23:52 PM »
Dennis,

I think length wasn't critical so this is jus the length they came out at. Why more than one should come out at the 1/4" I don't know though.
When I made mine, I had to measure it afterwards, as length wasn't a priority.  (43" actually)
Maybe he left the extra 1/4" for dressing the muzzle If it Needed it, and if it didn't, then we get 1/4" more for our money.  :-)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Old English trade guns were to have 48" barrels. Anywhere with in an inch or two seems to have past muster.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
Just thinking, it may be that length fit the rifling bench and his pattern. With the same length your barrel pins and ramrod pipes could be located the same every time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:57:30 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
 Just my opinion. But maybe back then they weren't as hung up on the little details. Like we do now.