Author Topic: Second Leather Project - Possibles Bag #2  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Marcruger

Second Leather Project - Possibles Bag #2
« on: November 14, 2017, 03:50:17 AM »
Well folks, here is my second ever leather project (Bag #2), and I need to take a break because I am tired of stitching for now!  This one is a simple flat bag (versus inside-out), with a scalloped welt. 

I decided to try a few new things, and keep the things from Bag #1 that I felt worked okay.  There is still so much to learn. 
James Rogers of course gets huge credit for inspiring me and answering questions.  My dad as well for patiently teaching me leatherwork on Bag #1 a few months back.

The pewter button I bought in Colonial Williamsburg, and has their fancy engraving on it.  The nifty 18th Century buckle Bob Hill found for me at the Camden Reenactment.

Ron Hess and Jim Parker have sent me some plate brass to try to make a fancy 18th Century buckle per the Crosby/Roger tutorial in my last post. I hope I can pull that off.

If anyone knows of someone casting or making really nice 1700s buckles in the 1” to 1-1/4” strap width, I’d love to hear about it. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Second Leather Project - Possibles Bag #2
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:19 AM »
Very nicely shaped bag Marc!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:47 AM »
WOW! Very nice.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
Excellent job, Marc. Very classy pouch. We are very proud of your efforts and we know your father has to be as well.
   Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Marc, as stated VERY NICE WORK!!! It is hard to believe that this is only your second bag. If I was a bag maker by trade , I`d be planning on finding a new job when people see your work . Man , this is NICE work!!!  Good Job!!  Nate

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
I like it. I like your work, very finished and professional looking.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
 Very nice Marc, Great attention to small detail.

Tim

PS: Like the makers mark too. TC
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:46:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
Marc,

Yon's a Very competent and "saddler" quality bit of kit!  You have done a lovely job, not only of the sewing but also of the design.  Congrats on such fine work!

Richard.

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »
Simply elegant. Excellent design and craftsmanship. If I may ask, how are the scallops cut along the edges of the bag?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:00 AM »
I don't know where my last post went.  Maybe it will pop up later.  My sincere thanks to all for the encouragement.  :-) 

The scallops were cut with a pair of scalloped pinking shears.  I got them from Amazon, and they are Nikken Belltex brand.  They cut 2-3 ounce leather fine, but 4-5 ounce is tougher.  I wouldn't try any heavier than that. 

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
Here's an old style way to cut those if you are fortunate enough to locate one........or have time to forge and file one out.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
A couple of months back I went in search of pinking punches to do fancy edges.....and found that no one makes them any more.  You're right, you have to search out an oldie or make one yourself.  They sure do "pretty up" an edge on a nice piece of leather.

I did discover that Fiskars makes rotary material cutters....they look like a pizza cutter.  They make interchangeable blades, some with zig-zig or other designs.  I have no idea how they would work on leather, but some reviews say they do okay.  I went with the old time-proven set of scallop shears.   :-) 

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
 I have used the plain cutter on leather, cuts fine. Never have seen the zig-zag or any other style. I'll have to look around. I have used a gouge to cut the scallops one at a time.   Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »
I thank everyone for their replies to my question about how the scallops were cut. I think this feature really makes the bag "pop".
I couldn't for the life of me figure out how these scallops were cut. This is really a finely crafted and designed bag. I think we'll be seeing more outstanding work in the future from Marcruger.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
Now, that bag easily falls into the "eye candy" category.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:49 AM »
Hey rjpalmer.  As fast as I ruin leather, and as slow as I stitch, I don't know how many bags you'll see from me in the near future.   :-)  I do appreciate the compliment though, and I like the scallops too.  I might make a sheath next with a scalloped welt.   

The real master with loads of talent is James Rogers.  Go check out his website.  Yow! 

Hanshi, I was actually after a little bit fancy bag, even though I am just starting out.  I see a lot of what I would call serviceable, solid bags for sale.  I also see some that appear to be hillbilly inside-out pelts hanging from twine.  On the other hand, I see lots of Golden Age flashy rifles as well as flashy horns.  I think if someone back in the day had a carved, inlaid beauty of a rifle, they'd have had a fancy bag to go with it.  That is what I was aiming for, even if my execution needs more work.  So thank you for the eye candy comment good sir. 

Best wishes to you all,   Marc

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
That is some good looking stitching. Well Done!!