Author Topic: New to American long rifles, and new to the forum.  (Read 7379 times)

eboggs

New to American long rifles, and new to the forum.
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
Hello all,

New here and an extreme novice when it comes to American long rifles. While not new to the "gun world," I have just recently started looking into and researching "flintlocks." This was in preparation of purchasing what I only knew as a "Kentucky Long Rifle." It didn't take long for me to realize just how many variations, schools, build philosophies etc. are out there. Its almost overwhelming, and has quite honestly taken over my fascination. As someone who loves reading and studying American history, and my equal love of firearms, I am surprised it has taken me this long to learn about the 'American Long Rifle.' I have found it -almost- a world within its own.

I am at a point where I have narrowed my preference down to who I would like to build my rifle. Considering the wait is long, it also has the advantage of giving me time to really narrow down exactly what I want, while still securing my spot in line. I plan on spending quite some time here learning, and I am glad to be a part of this 'new world.'  :)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: New to American long rifles, and new to the forum.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »
Welcome aboard. We've been waiting for you. Lots of great people and great information here
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
You will no doubt find a style of rifle, and maybe even a historic master to emulate, as you choose which rifle you will have built.  But if I may offer some advice, leave the builder a lot of room for his/her creativity, and don't try to nail it down too precisely.  Welcome to this site...there are lots of great builders here who will satisfy your need.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

eboggs

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
You will no doubt find a style of rifle, and maybe even a historic master to emulate, as you choose which rifle you will have built.  But if I may offer some advice, leave the builder a lot of room for his/her creativity, and don't try to nail it down too precisely.  Welcome to this site...there are lots of great builders here who will satisfy your need.

Thanks fellas, and Sapergia, I agree. My intent is to pick a time period, and a general background for my rifle, and allow the builder to go off some basic guidelines to create a rifle of his, and my vision. After all, it is a piece of art; and it is just as much -his- original piece, just as the original rifles from the 18th century are to their respective smiths. I have quite a long wait, so it will give me plenty of time to expand my knowledge of these great firearms to kind of narrow my vision a bit on what truly appeals to me.

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »
Find a local club and join it.  There are quite a few in Ohio.  You might also get to handle some different styles to see what you prefer.  You really need two rifles.  A less expensive one to learn about flinters while you wait for the one being built.
Brice Stultz

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:56:35 AM »
Where are you from?  If you are east of the Mississippi River how about staying local. Find out who built long rifles in your area during that historical period and look at those 'schools' first.

eboggs

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:46 AM »
Where are you from?  If you are east of the Mississippi River how about staying local. Find out who built long rifles in your area during that historical period and look at those 'schools' first.

SW Ohio. I'll have to do some research to see what was close to here etc. Right now my knowledge is very, very limited.  :)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:52 AM »
OHIO!!!  They had some incredible builders. I'd start right there.

Check out this show sometime,

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2010/04/35th-ohio-longrifle-show.html

Offline Joey R

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:20:59 AM »
Welcome aboard!!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:41:31 AM »
This is a great Ohio reference. http://www.aolrc.com
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
Welcome, eboggs.  We're glad to have you with us.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 06:01:10 AM »
 Welcome eboggs to the ALR best site on the net...

Offline Silky921

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
Eboggs, welcome to one of the greatest hobbies out there. Check your PMs.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 11:56:06 PM »
Don't start thinking EVERYBODY here is going to like you....... ;) ( I had to be different than all the syrupy welcomers..... :P)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline retired fella

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:56:21 AM »
Here in s.w. Ohio Cncinnati area there are several clubs that cater to our sport.  In fact on any given Sunday there is a BP shoot locally.  I would say that more than 50% of the fellas that I shoot with shoot what they build and the competition is fierce.  Nice guys, all,  and my suggestion would be to visit a few of these clubs and talk with them look at their equipment and maybe fire a few rounds.  This would be in addition to your research. 

Good luck in your quest.

Online Bill Raby

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 06:24:20 AM »
   Some advice on having custom work done. Last 8 years or so of my goldsmith career I was doing mostly high end custom jewelry for very rich and demanding people. It was nothing but trouble. Customers would come in with something very specific in their head of what they wanted. Of course a lot of the time what they wanted was either not possible or just would not work. But the real problem was them having a specific idea of what they wanted. What makes that a problem is that it is pretty much impossible to get what is their head into my head. No matter how much you talk and draw pictures it is just impossible for us to both imagine the same thing. When I would get the jewelry done it was almost always different than what they were expecting. I would have to make everything several times and in the end I think it was rarely ever exactly what they wanted.

I finally got fed up with all that nonsense and pretty much quit doing custom work. But the customers kept coming in. What I ended up doing was have them pick out the diamonds that they wanted to use, then bring in several pictures of jewelry that they liked. I would make something in the same basic style as the pictures. They don't get any drawings, no progress reports or pictures of work in progress. They don't get to see anything until it is done. Payment in advance. No returns. When it is finished they come pick it up and they are going to like it. A lot of them would get mad and walk out, but not all of them. I never had a customer that was not satisfied. Everyone liked it better than they expected to. Reason was that they never had an imagine in their head of what it was going to look like. I was not trying to do any mind reading. All I had to do was quality work. They would all be nervous about paying up front with no return policy and not knowing what they would get. But it worked. Before long I was getting calls from all over USA and Europe. I am out of that business now.

Same goes for custom guns. Decide on a style of rifle that you like and find a builder doing that with acceptable quality, price range, wait, etc. Send the builder the basic measurements you need along with pictures of rifles that you like. And then just let him do his own thing. Don't get an idea of the perfect rifle in your head because you will never be able to communicate to the builder exactly what that is. Just give the builder rough ideas. That gives the builder the freedom to design something that he will enjoy building and be able to do his best work on. That is how you get the very best work that the builder is capable of doing.

Offline gusd

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »
eboggs,
Go to some of the shows, like the ALR show or Lewisburg  and see and handle longrifles
by various makers.  Also,some makers go to antique arms shows. Look in ads for shows on this site.
Gus

nosrettap1958

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
Here in s.w. Ohio Cncinnati area there are several clubs that cater to our sport.  In fact on any given Sunday there is a BP shoot locally.  I would say that more than 50% of the fellas that I shoot with shoot what they build and the competition is fierce.  Nice guys, all,  and my suggestion would be to visit a few of these clubs and talk with them look at their equipment and maybe fire a few rounds.  This would be in addition to your research. 

Good luck in your quest.

Yes, I agree, totally. I shot against some of those Ohio boys and they are fierce competitors.

eboggs

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
I'm just north of Dayton. While not extremely far, Cincy is about an hour+ for me. Maybe I'll have to make the trip down that way sometime in the future.

Good luck in your quest.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »
You're not far from Tim Crosby, the Renaissance Man.  Tim knows so much about so many subjects it makes my head swim.  He'd be a good resource for longrifle culture.  God Bless,   Marc

nosrettap1958

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
What period of American history are you interested in? Prior to the American Revolution? The American Revolution? The War of 1812? The Alamo? Western expansion and settlement?  The Longrifle covers a lot of time and territory.

eboggs

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 12:17:33 AM »
What period of American history are you interested in? Prior to the American Revolution? The American Revolution? The War of 1812? The Alamo? Western expansion and settlement?  The Longrifle covers a lot of time and territory.

I am looking closely at long rifles made between the 1750's and 1770's. At this point I'm most interested in the French and Indian war through the Revolution.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 01:24:07 AM »
Probably have to go with a Pennsylvania built rifle such as a Lancaster or Lehigh. As the country developed then you can add more states to your mix.

Something like this?

http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/gallery-of-guns/schimmel-rifle-lehigh-valley/

eboggs

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 01:54:33 AM »
Probably have to go with a Pennsylvania built rifle such as a Lancaster or Lehigh. As the country developed then you can add more states to your mix.

Something like this?

http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/gallery-of-guns/schimmel-rifle-lehigh-valley/

Not entirely sure yet. Just received my copy of "The Kentucky Rifle" which will require a thorough read before I really start deciding exactly what I want in this rifle.

Currently the only 'set in stone' specs are: left handed, 45cal and 42" swamped barrel.