Author Topic: Shoulder on Lock Plate  (Read 1701 times)

Fiftyfour

Shoulder on Lock Plate
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:52:23 AM »
The first lock I inlet was a RE Davis trade gun lock and the second that I did was a Queen Ann which may have been a L&R.
I recall that both locks had shoulders on the top of the lock plate that the stop notch in the cock makes contact with.
I did not have to notch the stock for the cock. I bought a Davis colonial lock and found that I had remove wood above
The lock plate for the cock to clear the stock.  Is the built out shoulder on the first 2 locks a change that came with later locks
Or is it a characteristic of a style of lock?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Shoulder on Lock Plate
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »
Hi,
There is no need for a notch in the stock for that lock just keep your molding narrow.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: Shoulder on Lock Plate
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Some locks, like Chambers Early Ketland, Virginia style and Queen Anne pistol locks lay more flush with the molding face. But, do as Dave says and you will only need a very small relief cut. Not much more than a tiny groove. Davis's Colonial lock has a bevel allowing the lock to stand a little proud of the lock molding surface. If you follow Dave's advice, you will not need any relief cut
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt