Author Topic: F Klette VA Rifle  (Read 840 times)

Offline Sawfiler

• Starting Member
F Klette VA Rifle
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:09 AM »
I would be interested to see what comments y'all could offer about my first rifle. I know some of my skills need to be honed, but as far as historical accuracy. This is my interpretation of the F Klette Rifle "kit" offered from TOTW. I was interested in something that might have been found where I live now 200+ years ago. Never have I held an original rifle, and this is my first experience with a flintlock.

All those excuses aside. Its a .45 cal colerain straight barrel with a Chambers Virginia lock. The stock is cherry and was from a piece my dad and I sawed. All comments welcome - I am here to learn, would rather not cry myself to sleep tonight though. Thanks for the input!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: F Klette VA Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:36:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sawfiler, you picked a good place to learn. Your gun is a game geter for sure. Looks like some of your parts maybe should have been inlet a little deeper would be one comment that I would make. I wasn't aware TOTW sold that kit so I will be checking that out next week when I travel there.

Offline Sawfiler

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:47:37 AM »
Picks might not show it, but all the edges are flush with the wood. Are they supposed to fit deeper?

The kit I was referring to from TOTW is more of a parts list than a kit. The stock was from a rough cut blank, off the farm - no precarving at all. I bought the parts I could afford and worked out the rest. The stock was a big area of saving. It started out at a little over 2" thick, thats the reason the cheek piece isn't more pronounced. I was working within my budget and used what I had for a first rifle.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:40 AM »
OK I was thinking of the patch box as it looked a little proud of the wood but it is probably my over 70 eyes or lighting. You said first rifle so good luck with the next one. For a first rifle your engraving looks pretty good IMHO. Your lock panels look a little too big and I'm curious as to what finish you used on the stock.

Offline Sawfiler

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:03:10 AM »
BLO over a stain. I️ think I️ got about ten coats hand rubbed in. Some of the brass could use polishing. It was Rainy opening weekend in Va.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:54 AM »
Welcome. Congratulations on finishing that rifle. It's a good start, and obviously works well  :)    First off, I'm no expert, but a few things come to mind off the bat for your next rifle build.  Take a hard look at photos of the originals . The copies of Rifles of Colonial America { RCA ]  book 1 and 2 are invaluable. Lots of photos along with measurements.   The trigger guard needs to be inlet into the stock so that it appears to grow out of the wood. The locks panels are too big. Lots to like but a lot to improve on too. I hope we get to see another one.   Next time, if you are building an early rifle, try a swamped barrel. You'll appreciate how it helps with the lines, and balance of the rifle. Lowell Haraar has a rifle built in the spirit of Klette on the Contemporary Maker's website [ May , 2013]  Lots of photos to study.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:23:00 AM by bob in the woods »

Offline n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »
Sawfiler, Welcome to the forum and, congrats on your first build. I will start off by giving you credit for some good points. I really like the fact that you started with a board , so, you did a lot of layout and got some good inletting experience , inletting the barrel and ramrod is a job , by itself. The overall relationship of your parts is not bad , no crooked , weird angle buttplate or anything. I also like the fact that you went all the way ,. You installed a patchbox , toeplate , rear pipe, butt plate. You did some carving and engraving. By doing this, all of your skills should develop and improve together. Too many newcomers avoid carving , engraving, inletting the tougher parts , and build poorboys. Then down the road their tenth gun looks great other than the butcher job they did on their first attempt at carving. By trying it all , you have a good, baseline from which to move forward. I agree that your lock panels are large ,and, could be shaped better,  a very common thing that many people do at first. Your cheekpiece is probably plenty high , many times people over exaggerate them .They look higher in books than the old ones do in person . It could use a molding line to define it a little more . Your background on your carving could be smoothed out and blended with the surrounding area. The rifle looks too thick in the area in front of the trigger. The front of your guard needs to be inlet , one picture looks like you can see light between the guard and the stock. I would recommend that if you want to do any changes do so , if not that`s fine too , but I would seal the stock with a finish that will seal the wood . Something other than BLO. Please DON`T take this critique in a bad way. I think for a first attempt you did a GREAT! job . You built a functional rifle that made meat !  This is no small accomplishment , and one you should be proud of . Build more and keep us posted .  Nate
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:52:34 PM by n stephenson »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »
HEy that deer never knew any of the little differences in style, etc.
That gun looks allot like what I have invisioned the old originals in their day looked like.
Concentrated on function.
I think you have done a great job for a first and especially from a tree!
Also, with that BLO finish, you could actually work those lock panels done to size as well as anything else needing done to conform to some of these suggestions that have been made, so long as not to ruin any of your carving.  And more of the same stain and BLO over it all would probably blend pretty well.
Just a thought from a novice himself.

Offline Sawfiler

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Thought I might post some more photos from the build. The first is my dad with the log my stock came out of. We sawed this when i was about 13-14 and was about as large as we could get on our mill. The rest are just at various stages of completion. All comments still welcome.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Regardless of others' critiques, you have done a fine job and you deserve to be proud. YOU DID IT! I know people who haven't even taken the first step toward building a gun and you just DID IT and brought home some meat. Good job, son.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
Congratulations on your building accomplishment.  Being in Virginia, I think you would enjoy a trip to Winchester  where Tim Hodges and others host an  outstanding show each year of contemporary and original long rifles where you would know doubt have the opportunity to inspect them closely. I think that event would inspire you. Like other said there are also many reference books that could help with building. Congrats on shooting A deer with a rifle you built from a log that you milled.  that in itself is a great accomplishment
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline KC

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
I agree with most the comments, you built a rifle from scratch that has pretty much proven itself in the field. There's not a whole lot left to be said, I'm sure if you keep at it, your rifles will only get better from here. Nice work.
K.C.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
From what I see,you have the talent to build guns. You just need to hit the books and if possible take in a gunbuilding class or two. Also, check out the ALR library,loads of guns to look at. Best of luck, Jerry