Author Topic: Glue the end plug?  (Read 5806 times)

Dave W

Glue the end plug?
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »
Do most folks glue (and/or nail) the end plug of a horn or should it only be nailed?  By "nailing" I mean using either brass tacks or wood splints to attach the plug.  It seems that if the horn is meant to be used it would be safer if it was only nailed.

DW

Offline t.caster

Re: Glue the end plug?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
I glue and peg. Sometimes glue and brad. What's unsafe about glueing....it is to seal the cap from air & moisture. Oldtimers used hide glue and beeswax to seal the endcap.
"Keep yer powder dry"!
Tom C.

Dave W

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »
Just after I posted this, I wandered to the "Shooting" forum and saw the "Exploding Powder Horns" thread.  So, I guess that kinda answered my question.  I  was thinking that a glued plug might "fragment" more readily than a pegged-only plug.

The bottom line is to use common sense and don't be a fool with powder storage...

Dave

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
TC
I posted something on another thread "horns blowing up" . I didn't mean it to sound that glue was not acceptable I was just citing what  I read a few years ago by some people running a test on powder horns to prove they were safe on the field of reenacting. There was an accident a few years ago and sites started talking about banning them at reenactments. These guys got together and blew up some horns. They suggested the tight fitting base plugs that were pegged with wood blew out the bases with out causing an explosion (calling these traditional construction) while glued bases cause the horn to blow. This was back in 1999 or 2000 they posted results  to a reenacting site that they had for Rev War. I'm wishing now I had save the info on the site as a pdf to follow up. (that was a computer & a half ago)
Personally, I feel most folks use horns properly so any incidents like this are not the norm. When someone gets careless leaving the spout plug open for instance while firing in rank due to inexperience (or adrenaline ) it's not going to make much difference glue or not.
I wasn't questioning anyones building practices.
Sorry if it may have come across that way.
Jim
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:01:37 PM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
Jim, no problem, I hadn't read the exploding horn thread before answering. Anyway, in 30 yrs. of shooting I have never seen or heard of any horns exploding unless someone was purposely trying to set one off for a test. Has anyone else?
Our club bans smoking on or near the firing line and woodswalk, just to be safe!
Tom C.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »
From a quick google search found these three records of horns blowing up. one recent and two historic. The Kansas one was fatal.

I forgot to write it down but I think this one was War of 1812. The accident occured on an American privateer.

"The first The battle lasted for nearly an hour.  Tom Boyle brought up his marine detachment, commanded by Captain Robert Cascadden, and had them clear the enemy deck with musket fire.  At 1:40 P.M. the badly damaged ship struck her colors.  The Comet had two casualties; Thomas Cadle, a marine was hit in the eye by a musket ball, and William Cathell was badly wounded in the arm and leg when the powder horn exploded when he was priming his gun.
-----
The Hutchinson News
Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas
Thursday, February 28, 1884
A young man, James Bertram, met with a horrible death last Friday, near his home in Little River township.  He had been out hunting and the theory is his powder horn exploded, tearing out his bowels and setting fire to his clothes.  He was discovered by the school children who saw the smoke.  They then carried water in hats and extinguished it, finding young Bertram charred almost beyond recognition.  He was buried on the following day.

-------

7/12/08
CHADRON, Neb. (AP) - A powderhorn exploded during Chadron's annual Fur Trade Days in Nebraska, sending a Denver man to the hospital with burns.

Authorities say the 35-year-old's injuries are not life threatening. The man's identity has not been released.

The explosion happened Friday at the buckskinner's camp southeast of town. The camp is one of the events featured
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:07:54 AM »
I epoxy and either pin or nail ALL my plugs, all my horns are air tight, gauranteed!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
I have always tapered the plug slightly and press fit into a heated horn, then pegged. I will color the horn by placing into a hot dye solution, and have never had one leak, so I am assuming rain won't soak through either. Obviously glue doesn't hurt a thing, but I think that if the plug is closely fit it is not an absolute requirement.