Author Topic: Proofing bench  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Proofing bench
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
This topic is in response to "Chunker119" who asked if I would show a photo of my home made proofing bench.  This contraption eliminates the human factor when testing a barrel for it's accuracy. It allows one to repeat fire a muzzle loading barrel whilst held  in the same position consecutively. I built it out of wood( 2X6's) to simulate a wooden gun stock.  It is mounted on a modified welding table which, is in turn, held steady with 2000lbs. of cinder blocks.  The scope mounted on it is only used to see the developing groups as a load is being worked up for each individual  barrel that I rifle. once I begin shooting I  do not adjust the scope or the cradle which holds the barrel.  The barrel is fitted with a special breech that I made to fire the charge by means of a flash pan and a piece of fuse.  Please feel free to ask any questions,      Hugh Toenjes
IMG_8941" border="0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:15:43 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Proofing bench
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Very interesting. About as good as it gets for barrel testing.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:54:20 AM »
Do you set it up at 100yards aside from the 25 or 30 it is currently point at.  Different range location or perhaps angles, presumably.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »
Once you have the barrel fixed,. Hugh, do you load subsequent shots like loading a cannon...inserting a charge and patched ball without moving the barrel?  I have often wondered about your machine rest system!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
Hugh, I built jigs and fixtures for about 10 years in an air conditioner plant . I still love to look at them , I guess that is a little weird !! I just find it interesting to see other people`s ideas and approaches at fixture building . I like your set up . NICE JOB!! Nate