Author Topic: New rifle need help  (Read 3450 times)

valley firearms

New rifle need help
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »
I picked this up today does anybody no who made the lock ?No writing on the lock or barrel patch box looks like it is cast brass . The barrel is 43 1/2 and the bore is .430 and is smooth bore the rifle is 59 3/4 long. Any info will be appreciated.
Thank you
George Belford

Offline geologyjohn

• Starting Member
Re: New rifle need help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Your lock plate looks identical to one that Dixie Gun Works was selling in the 1960's. 

lostinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »
ditto GeoJohn Dixie Gun Works probable made in Belgium. I think gun broker had one for sale like $90

valley firearms

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Were the lock any good?

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:44 PM »
The barrel dimensions you provide are about the same as un-rifled barrel blanks that Dixie sold; the last I bought was about 1978-79. The bores were rough as received from Dixie, and were reamed before I rifled them, and the barrel flats draw-filed. I seem to remember at the time it was said these blanks were made by extrusion, not gun-drilled; the longest barrel I remember getting out of one of these blanks was ~44".

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
Were the lock any good?

If it is a Dixie Gun Works lock it was never intended for
any quality market..Is it functional now and will it fire
with a sharp flint? A local man turned one of these into
a study in case hardening. It's not a good looking lock
but if it works then that's all that it needs to do.
Turner Kirkland was NOT oriented to anything but
the low dollar market for his business and did a good
job perpetuating the idea that "if it's for a muzzle loader it
MUST be cheap."

Bob Roller

valley firearms

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
Carl are they worth boring out and rifling to a larger size?

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:29 AM »
Carl are they worth boring out and rifling to a larger size?

Back then I had much more time and a lot less money, plus access to the tools for boring, rifling and a mentor. I do not think it is worth paying someone to do. "Worth" is highly subjective, no offense, but cheap parts make cheap guns. If you want to learn how to ream-and-rifle it yourself you are not risking much financially. There are threads on this site on reaming and rifling...try the search function.

Welcome and ask questions, but remember you will get opinions and they may not agree with yours; don't take it personally, we don't tolerate "flaming" here.

Carl

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

valley firearms

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:00:13 AM »
Thank you Carl for the info
George Belford