Author Topic: Loading block for Maxi Ball  (Read 2926 times)

Fiftyfour

Loading block for Maxi Ball
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »
Will a loading block work with a Maxi Ball? I'm thinking the patch is what holds a round ball in the wood.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Loading block for Maxi Ball
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Make one and report.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Yes a loading block will work for a maxi-ball. I made one years ago for my 50 Cal. TC. Made it with oak board. Greased the maxi-ball with TC lube heavily and inserted them in the holes flush. When ready to load in rifle simply use short starter to put them in barrel for ramrod to finish seating on powder charge. Have used for years to deer hunt with and some target shooting.
Jerry Dickerson

Fiftyfour

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:29:42 PM »
I agree but it not for me. I only use PRB. Maybe Maxi Ball is not the correct lable. These are REAL bullets and not much bigger than a ball.

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:10 AM »
Yes I used PRB's in the T/C originally and due to the twist I started using the Maxi's and found they had more punch on the deer. So now i shoot both depending how I feel. Always use PRB's in my other guns with slower twist.
Jerry Dickerson

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:04:41 AM »
I think Daryl has recounted the real world terminal performance (or lack there of) of these things on large game- based on actual animals and trusted accounts of the circumstances leading to thier wounding. Bottom line is it is  just not worth messing with at best and down right unethical at worst.  If you want more umphf barrels are dirt cheap and they come in lots of sizes.

Keep it simple- Put a round ball on the hide covering the lung, wait a bit and then go get to work.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:33:06 AM »
If interest continues in a discussion of the merits or round balls versus maxi-balls or REAL bullets, versus the original question, we can split the topic.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:49:39 AM »
Definitely. I'm familiar with PRBs and MaxiBalls, but what are these REAL bullets?

Fiftyfour

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:28:28 AM »
Rifiling engraved at loading

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
Seems like it should work fine.

The hole size might want to be just tight enough to hold the bullet but not tight enough to size it  down.  The front band on the Maxi is slightly larger than the bottom of the bullet.
Mike Lee